If I Could Tell Her (Chapter Eleven)

"My brother's alive?" 

Her mother nodded.

"That's impossible! Chad died fourteen years ago!

Luna rolled her eyes. "No, that's just what your grandmother told you to spare you from the truth."

"What is the truth, then?" Rosalind couldn't keep the skepticism out of her voice. She wasn't going to get her hopes up. It's not like her mother would be nominated for The Most Trustworthy Person of the Year Award.

Luna leaned back in her chair. "I couldn't control the little runt. He was completely reckless with his abilities. He would transform whenever he had the chance regardless of who was watching. He became far too much of a liability, so I sent him away."

"He couldn't control his werewolf abilities, so you sent him away?"

She laughed. "No, actually he was quite good at controlling his transformations. What he lacked was restraint. Every time he'd get bullied on the schoolyard, he would show them his wild side. Let's just say I had to pay a lot of people to keep quiet. I got tired of covering up for him, so I sent him to go be someone else's problem."

"That's it? Did you even try to help him? Or did you get rid of him as soon he was an inconvenience to you?"

Luna frowned. "Now you're making me sound like the bad guy. I'm doing what's best for everyone."

"Is it what's best for everyone, or is it what's best for yourself? You kept my brother from me for years!" She banged her fists on the desk. "Do you have any idea how hard it's been for me, having to live without him? You are the bad guy!"

Rage flickered through her mother's eyes. "I've heard enough. Gregorio, escort her out of here." She glared at Rosalind. "I'm expecting you to get your temper in check before the council arrives."

Gregorio dragged her out of the office and into the living room. The office door promptly shut behind them. Then he pointed to a room towards the end of the hall. "You can stay in that room over there, while you'll be staying with us. Chandler has offered to let you borrow his clothes until we can get you some of your own.

"Why would he do that?"

"Chandler's a good boy, but he doesn't always show it."

She waited for him to elaborate further, but he didn't, so she wandered into the room she'd be staying in. It was a small room with nothing but a bed and a vanity. The walls were painted a shade of pale green, which complimented the white bedspread with pink butterflies embroidered into it. The decor looked like it was intended for someone much younger than her. Overall it wasn't too shabby for a spooky underground cave. The only potential giveaway that they were underground was the complete lack of windows.

She shut the door behind her. She noticed the bow and arrows she had found in the Sightless Caverns leaned against the far side of the vanity. How did it get here? She scoured the room for a place to stash them. First, she dug through the vanity drawers. The bottom drawer contained blue jeans, sweatpants, hoodies, and a note that was scribbled in nearly illegible handwriting.

These are my clothes, but you can borrow them, I guess. Just try not to spill on them or anything         —Chandler

Rosalind pulled out a pair of sweatpants to change into later, then she tossed the note in the tiny wastebasket in the corner of the room.

Next, she searched the middle drawer, which was full of soaps and other toiletries.

The top drawer was full of hair accessories and expensive makeup pallets and another note this one was written with impeccable penmanship.