Chapter 3

"I don’t want better…I want you."

- The Best of Me, coming to theaters October 17

Chapter 3

“Took you look enough.”

My mouth was dangling open unattractively. I could not comprehend what was happening. We knew each other? Better yet, we were once in love? How could I not remember such a significant part of my life?

My legs buckled underneath me and I collapsed on the grass. Carson instantly swooped down to help me, but I waved him off distractedly. A sense of uneasiness swirled in my abdomen as I tried to think back to my childhood. Snippets came back to me, but nothing very clear. Swallowing, I placed my head in my hands, feeling sick.

“Why can’t I remember things?” I whispered. “How have I not realised this before now?”

He jerked a shoulder up. “I don’t how you haven’t realised, I’m not sure what really is going on inside that brain of yours, but I do know why you can’t remember things. But I’d prefer you try and remember.”

“None of this makes any sense,” I groaned, rubbing my temples.

“I know this is a lot to take in and you’re freaking out, but that’s not going to help you remember.”

The words, “I don’t even know you,” were on the verge of my lips, but I did know him. The memory that came back to me was from only a couple of years ago, but I felt like it was a dream. Could I possibly have been that girl? Have I been in a trance of denial for the last two years?

“I just,” I tried to form a sentence but my jumbled brain had other ideas. “I am so confused.”

“I know.” He said softly, plopping down beside me. “Want a biscuit?

Reaching into his pocket, he emerged with a fistful of wrapped biscuits. I just blinked at him for a few moments, staring at his dead serious face.

“You’re offering me food when I have just realised something is seriously wrong with me?”

“Comfort food?”

I pursed my lips but didn’t reply. “My head is spinning.”

“I could imagine.”

The sun had settled over us, making my skin heat up. I shrugged off the cardigan and lay back, the grass tickling my arms. He followed suit, removing his leather jacket. I turned my head to him. A sense of déjà vu hit me as I stared into his eyes. At first, he had been unfamiliar, but now I feel as though I had known him my whole life. Well, apparently I did. Absently, I reached forward, trailing my fingertips down his defined arms. He watched me curiously, his lips slightly parted. The more I thought about him, the more parts of my memory came back.

“I was so in love with you.” I murmured. “How could I have forgotten?”

“You had an accident.”

My jaw clenched involuntarily. I felt sick. I gestured for him to continue, although I really didn’t want to hear it.

“The one that killed your mother. You were in a coma which affected your long-term memory. If you spoke to anyone that you used to be friends with, you probably would have realised, but you shut everyone out.”

“Why would I?” I whispered.

He shrugged. “That’s what I asked myself for a long time. I thought maybe going back to school would help you, but you never came back.”

“Yeah, I wanted to work…” I trailed off. “I needed money and they only offered me though the day shifts, so I took them. Are you still at school?”