Prologue

Prologue

Perhaps, if I owned an alarm clock instead of my mother, mornings wouldn't be half as bad. If I had an alarm clock I could continually click snooze until I felt like getting up. Mum's like a broken record, with her obstinate, "Estelle, time to wake up," phrase. In my fourth year of school she'd stopped coaxing me to get up , she'd stopped rubbing my back soothingly. Instead, she just opened my bedroom door and yelled while ripping of my covers.

Perhaps if Lucas hadn't influenced my habits during the time we shared a bedroom, I'd get up the first time Mum asked, and I'd still be greeted with a plate of full bacon and eggs or some divine strawberry's, picked fresh from our garden rather than a rush of cool country air across my legs and around my neck.

Perhaps if today wasn't the day Lucas was moving into college I'd just ignore Mum, as per usual, and roll over, unwilling to get up for at least another hour or so. Perhaps I'd leisurely eat a honeybun or two as I applied my makeup and ran a flat iron through my hair.

That's weighed a lot on perhaps, though. Alas, it is the day Lucas is moving away to college, he did influence my sleeping habits, and I do not own an alarm clock.

And because it's September 1st, the day Lucas leaves to better his education and pursue his dream of becoming a published author, I have to get up. I have to get ready, and according to my mother, I have to do it quickly. 

"Stal, oo wradee wet?"  Lucas grins as he parades into my room. Of course, he meant to say, Stel, you ready yet?, but the waffle he was stuffing into his mouth made it impossible to understand him.

"Lucas, it's..." I trail off, looking down at my phone, "4:30 in the morning!"

He finished chewing his waffle and swallowed before replying, "Your point being?"

"My point being it's four-thirty in the morning! It's way too early for this! Remind me why you had to choose a college that's five hours away?" I slump.

"You can sleep in the car; get over yourself," he joked. 

"You know, that talk Mum gave to me about being sisterly to you is beginning to wear off very quickly." I hold out my thumb and index finger and put them close enough for the point to be taken.

"Whatever, Stel, just get ready, please. We're leaving in twenty minutes."

"Fine." I sighed.

He walked out the door, leaving me to get ready. 

After a six hour ride (due to some construction work) to his college, we're left with the job of carrying all twenty-six boxes and three suitcases into his room on the sixth floor. That wouldn't have been a problem if the elevator wasn't broken.

Several hours later, the majority of Lucas' stuff is unpacked and in its respectable place. As Mum and Luke discuss safety procedures, Simon, Luke's roommate, enters, a huge grin on his face.

"Si!" Luke stops listening to Mum and goes over to hug the skinny boy.

"Well, I suppose we better let you boys get settled in," my Mum said hesitantly, sighing, a silent tear making it's way down her cheek.

"I love you, Ma," Lucas shoves a hand through his disheveled brown hair. 

"I love you too. So much." When they finally let go from their embrace, Luke turns to me.

"Munchkin, I'll miss you," he ruffles my hair, tucking a clump of mahogany hair behind my ear.

"I'll me you too, Lucas. A lot. Who am I gonna watch Sherlock with all night? Mum doesn't know whats going on," I smile sadly. 

"It's not forever, Estelle. I'm coming home in a couple of weeks time and I'll call you every night."

"Still," I sigh.

We all remained silent as we journeyed to our car, enjoying each others company for the last time for a few weeks. 

My Mum got into our small red ford. My hand grasped the cold red handle of the door when Luke tapped my shoulder.

"Estelle,"

"Yes?" I turn to face him. He has a sad smile on his lips and his vibrant green eyes were brimming are tears. My gaze falls to his hand.

My mouth waters the moment I spot the strawberries that he has in his outstretched hand. Fresh crimson berries covered with a mountain of tangy sweet whipped cream. Rich grainy brown sugar covering the sweet airy perfection.

"I picked the strawberries this morning. Thought we could share them for one last time like we used to do most weekends," he scratched the back of his head, a nervous and sad smile on his lips.

Tears threatened my eyes as we made our way towards a small park bench closeby. A solitary fiery red autumn leaf lay on the bench which Luke scooped up in his hand and tucked behind my ear. We sat in a comfortable silence as we ate the small pieces of heaven, every once in a while looking up at each other and smiling.

"Estelle! We have to go!" My mother called.

Lucas entwined our hands as we stalked back to our car.

He opened the door for me and said, "In you get, m'lady."

"Why thank you good sir," I replied. Tears stream down my face as I get in, fastening my seat belt.

 "Goodbye. I love you both! So, so much." Lucas smiles and waves at us. I return the gesture before we drive off, back to our home in the country.

That was the last time I ever saw Lucas with all of his pieces intact.