Part Two

The past twenty years I've been living in this apartment.  The memories connected to it good and bad.

The apartment itself is great considering that it is like a blocks walk to the train.  As well as the busiest boulevard in the area.  I guess you can say it is perfectly situated.

The apartment that we shared the firescape with no one has lived there for as long as I lived here.  That changed one day.

When I came through the hallway when I came home that day.  It didn't look like anybody had come through.

I settled down, and headed to the window that went out to the firescape.  These days I go out there to listen to music, and maybe smoke the occasional joint.  Today was one of those occasional joints.

I stepped out onto the firescape, and situated myself in the corner.  It was then I looked up, and saw a guy sitting on the opposite end of the escape.

He must've found my surprised look funny, because he was chuckling.  Or was it that I was holding weed.

"Uhm hi?" I said .

"Is that weed?" He asked pointing to the container in my hands.

"Yes?" I said. 

"Mhm" He grunted, not phased by my response.

"How did you get out here?" Is the first actual question I asked the guy.

"I live here" He replied.

"How did you get out here" he asked almost rhetorically .

"I live here" I said pointing at the window right next to me.

"It's just that-i'm sorry, no one has lived in that apartment for as long as I have lived here." I explained.

"And how long is that?" he questioned.

"Twenty years" I replied.

"That's a pretty long fucking time" He said with a little belch.

I looked down through the grates of the escape.  We were on the fourth floor.  I looked up to meet the guys eyes.

"What's your name?" I questioned.

"Steven, and what's yours" He replied.

"Amanda" I replied

"...welcome to the neighborhood Steven"