Ch. 6 - Softboy

"If you think about it, you were using him too."

I widen my eyes, amazed my best friend would betray me with this blasphemy. "What do you mean?"

"The article, Brook! You only went on the date to get the highlight story!" Sophie crosses her arms over her chest. "And Aiden went on the date to be president!"

"Of his frat," Joseph says. "You really can't leave that part out, babe."

Sophie waves her hand around in the air to dismiss his comment. "Listen, I'm not saying he's justified in using you for a bet, but I think we all need to take a step back and remember where we came from."

"So motivating," Joseph says, placing a hand over his heart.

I sit down on our couch and cross my arms over my chest. Sophie's right. I was using him. After such a great night with Aiden, I forgot about the article. I wanted to be there; I wanted him to cuddle with me, tell me I'm beautiful. When he told me about the bet, it actually hurt my feelings. I just acted out in the heat of the moment.

I think it's more of a pride thing. A part of me really thought Aiden swiped right on me because he thought I was someone special, someone he really wanted to be with. It sounds stupid to even say, but it's the truth.

"I guess you're right," I say. "But... what did you expect me to do? Stay? And let him win a stupid bet?"

"Aren't you going to write a stupid article?" Sophie says. "It's not stupid when you think about it in his perspective, Brook."

"Why can't you just hate him?" I mutter and put my head in my hands.

"I don't know him!" Sophie says and sits next to me. "Do you hate him?"

"No." I take a deep breath. "I like him. I fucking like a frat boy."

Joseph sits down in the chair next to us. "Wait a minute. You like him? You like this dude, and you abandoned him in a hotel?" He shakes his head. "You suck at flirting, Brooklyn."

"Hey, I don't blame you for leaving," Sophie says and places a hand on my back. "I understand why you did it. I wouldn't want those boys making any bets about me."

"Yeah, I bet they were all talking about how stupid and naive you were. Like," he drops his voice deeper to mimic the frat boys, "she's so dumb. Bet she'll drop her panties right away for Aiden. What an easy—"

"Joseph!" Sophie whispers sternly.

"Sorry. Too far. I get it."

"It's okay, Joe," I sigh. "You're not wrong." I shake my head. "God, I can't believe I asked him to get in bed with me."

Sophie and Joseph look like a mirror image of each other, their jaws dropped. Sophie slowly brings her hand to cover her mouth, and then she starts laughing. Joseph laughs with her, the two of them rubbing salt in the wound of embarrassment.

"Oh, shut up!" I laugh. "If you two saw the body on that kid..." I shrug. "I think even Joseph would've asked him to get in bed with him."

"Sorry, sorry," Sophie hiccups out the rest of her laughter. "I just never... Brooklyn Chapman asking the world's most basic frat boy to get in bed with her." She laughs again. "You can't make that shit up!"

"He's not the world's most basic frat boy," I say without realizing how defensive I'm sounding.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot about Joseph here," Sophie jokes.

"Sup, bitch," Joseph says and bites his lip. Sophie cracks up even more than before.

I roll my eyes. "He wasn't like that."

"Wait, aw, Brook, you really do like him," she says and clasps her hands together. "That's so sweet."

"I'm not like a five-year-old who has a dumb crush on a celebrity!" I say, surprised by how heated I am about this. I know Sophie is only messing with me, but I can't help but get upset.

"Hey, I know you're not," she says and reaches out for my arm. "I just think it's very sweet. You haven't liked someone in awhile!"

"Yeah, well, it's not ideal that I like him."

"Because he's likely a massive douchebag with even more massive douchebag friends?" Joseph asks, followed by a light whack on the arm by his girlfriend.

"Mostly the second part," I say. "Aiden wasn't like them though. Or at least it didn't seem like it. He was sweet and respectful the whole time... I didn't even think I'd have anything to write about for the article."

"God bless the bet!" Joseph says and holds his hands up and bows his head.

"No!" Sophie says. "No, we're not saying he's a bad guy just because of this bet. Plus, he told you about it, right? So, he feels guilty."

I shrug. "I guess. But also not really? Like, he still asked for his shirt back."

Joseph laughs.

"Maybe it's his favorite shirt?" Sophie suggests.

"Yeah, maybe," I say. "So, Sophie, you don't think I should write the article?"

"What?" Joseph asks, his eyes widening.

"Honest opinion?" She asks.

"Write the article!" Joseph jumps in. "This is huge for you, Brooklyn!"

"Honest opinion."

"Write the fucking article!" Joseph cries.

"Okay," Sophie sighs, "don't write it."

"No!" Joseph collapses to the carpet, holding the 'o' dramatically.

Sophie pokes his side. "I meant, don't write it to make him out to be a bad guy. If you really do like him, maybe you could make it a romantic piece. Ask him out at the end or something?"

"Game changer," Joseph says. "I like it. Totally unexpected. And potentially detrimental to your career. But I think the risk might reap a great reward."

"Yeah, the reward being getting some sexy STD President ass," Sophie says with a giggle.

"But what if I write it and I never hear back from him again? And the article sucks and I lose my chance at ever writing another highlight story?"

"What if shmut if," Sophie says. "I think a romantic gesture is something that never goes out-of-style!"

"Joe?"

"I agree. Honestly, it would probably be more interesting to read than the article people are expecting. Everyone expects fuckboy; no one expects softboy."

He makes a good point. I think people would be surprised to find out that a guy like Aiden isn't a complete ass, but he's in fact really kind and a little dorky. The article I'm expected to write is about the bet, ass grabbing, obnoxious flirting, etc.. But what if I write something completely different?

My Date with the Frat President: Hey Aiden, Want to Do It All Again?

~~

AN:

sorry for the looong wait!

hope everyone's having a great summer. let me know what you're up to (besides reading all the best wattpad stories)

•comment•vote•enjoy•