Prologue

Isla never remembered her childhood. The moments she considered her younger days were torn from her, in the fire. She had been only eight when the Gifted hunters searched and burned her hometown, the huts she used to run in and out of were aflame. Angry men in black leather tore down her safe place, her sanctuary. She watched as her people, her family melted and burned, their screams permanently seared into her mind. Try as she might she could never forget that night, the feeling of ultimate terror igniting in her chest. The rush of adrenaline pumped through her veins as she tried to slip out unseen. She ducked around a burning tent with her family crest slowly smoldering. 

    It was no use as Isla desperately tried to escape the madness. Fire and smoke on one side, the King's guard on the other, their blades red with the blood of her family. One of the men in black seized her by her shirt and held her an inch away from his face. His bushy eyebrows almost covered his angry grey eyes. Scars ran all over his face, some of them pink with age but some of them new and still bleeding. He laughed in her face spraying her with dark whisky smelling spit. 

"You'll never do!" His heavy accent made him turn O's into U's. "Skin as pale as that and as short as ye are!"  

 A fire ignited in her and she raised her tiny hand and slapped him with all the anger and power she had. He dropped her in shock. Before he could recover, she scrambled to her feet and ran. She ran the wind couldn't keep up with her. Her shaking legs caused her to trip and stumble, smashing into shrubbery. Its angry twigs and branches raking across her face and arms as she bolted through the evergreens. She ran into the Dark Forest, hesitating only for a second at the 'DO NOT ENTER' sign. Every sound was terrifying, every creature a threat. SMASH! Isla barreled forward right into a mass, tripped and crashed into some bushes. The mass came running towards her! Fearing for her life, Isla backed up as fast as she could on her butt away from the mass, her heart beating so loudly it shook her whole body. 

"Woah there!" The mass stood in a beam of sunlight filtering from the trees. It removed its cloak to reveal a boy close to Isla's age. Shaking hard, Isla drew herself up to her full height.  

"W-who are you?" There was a frustratingly obvious quake to her voice, but it didn't stop Isla from putting up a tough front.  

"I'm Miltiades Thatcher, but you can call me Milo." He gingerly held up a hand. Warily Isla looked him over. He was a tall boy, his limbs too long for his short frame but she guessed he'd grow into it. He was dressed as she was, loose tunic with soft pants and boots. His face was speckled with dark brown freckles and his skin tone was several shades darker than Isla's pale completion. His tuft of dark brown hair was a mess of curls he looked like he never brushed. Hazel eyes met hers and they were calm and friendly with gold specks peppering his iris. Milo winked; Isla started. She had been staring. However, she wasn't the only one. Isla was under Milo's scrutiny. He scanned her small short frame, her light completion, she looks like she hasn't seen the sun. Her fierce blue eyes dared him to question her, despite her body shaking. The black curly hair she had cascaded over her shoulders and ended near her back, it had several twigs and leaves in it. Her cheek was cut and bleeding. His concern increased at the smell of soot coming from her and the direction she'd been running from. He cursed under his breath. Her village had been searched and burned.  The supposed King of Mercy was anything but. King Beljan's hated magic and sought to destroy it. He had sent out his men to every corner of the country, finding and killing anything that resembled the magic he so despised.

"I don't really know where I am, but I think I could do without such staring!" Milo was jolted from his thoughts and blinked. Isla stood red faced with fists clenched. Like a firework... Milo mused but said nothing. He had never seen such spite and power coming from such a small and innocent looking girl. Isla watched Milo walk towards a trail, then turned back at her. 

"Coming?" 

Isla grinned and followed