Forget Me Not Pt.2 | Black Hat x Reader

You stood, staring at the closed door in front of you, shifting the small bag hanging from your shoulder uneasily. You gulped, heart slightly racing as you held your hand up to knock, frozen in midair due to frayed nerves and second thoughts.

There was no giant monster chasing you this time. No unspeakable horror rattling the floorboards as you ran blindly in the dark. You weren't in danger, well, at least not yet. Even so, for some odd reason, you couldn't shake the sinking feeling pooling in your stomach. You supposed it was because, as Black Hat's employee, you took your job very seriously. You had a new task at hand, directly ordered by your gruesome and malevolent boss himself, and you were determined to do it well.

It surprised you very much when you had woken up on the morning of that fateful day, lying tucked in your bed with not the faintest clue as to how you got there. Last you remembered, you had stumbled into Black Hat's room, ranted about sheep and indigestion, then fallen asleep on his floor. The whole event was extremely embarrassing, and you had made very important plans to completely push it from your mind and forget about it completely. Unfortunately, when you had sat up in your bed that morning, you happened to find an envelope perched neatly on your bedside table. You wouldn't call it an invitation, even if you had wanted to flatter yourself. It was more like an order, a command, a task. One could even go so far as to perhaps call it a thinly veiled threat.

Then again, when dealing with Black Hat, everything was a threat, veiled or not.

The letter was made of stiff parchment, crisp and official, complete with a red wax stamp carrying Black Hat's logo. You opened it reverently, hands slightly shaking from anticipation and a smidge of fear. The words were in black ink, long swooping letters giving the message a regal and important urgency to it. The intensity your boss constantly gave off seemed to have leaked from his quill into his penmanship.

It read as follows.

Dearest Blundering Dolt,

I know you have the long-term memory of a goldfish, but I am sure you remember the course of events that occurred last night. I have heavily deliberated your offer to come and visit me, and I have come to a verdict.

Whenever you find free time in your miserable, insignificant little life, you are allowed to accompany me in my bedroom at night. I rest assured that you will successfully abate my "boredom" you spoke so heavily on, and I hope you will not disappoint.

For my sake, and yours.

Your Fetchingly Charming Superior,
Black Hat

The aforementioned letter you had received was now located in the very bottom drawer of your dresser, safely secured in a wooden box. Ahem, not that it was very important to you, getting a handwritten letter from your boss, asking for you to visit him at night. No, not interesting or exciting or exhilarating at all. Deciding to treasure it forever and never let it go had nothing to do with your feelings towards Black Hat. Ha, of course not.

You were just a very, very avid fan of stationary.

You wretched your thoughts out of the past and into the present moment, shaking your head slightly as you gathered your courage to knock on Black Hat's door. With your other hand, you checked your pocket watch for the time. The gold little trinket glistened in the faint light, dutifully letting you know by its spindly clock hands that it was five past one in the morning. It was as good a time as any to visit, you thought to yourself. You were being silly, childish even. Just knock. He had requested you come, so here you were. It was nothing more, nothing less. Knock and get it over with. You took a deep breath and moved your hand to do just that.