SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEEN [Blade "Zero" Kiern]

"So, how'd it go?" I asked, sliding into my seat.

Ryan shrugged. "We talked. And I'm not the one she likes."

I raised a brow at that. "And you're not going to fight the guy for her?"

Ryan shook his head.

"Why not?"

"Because the guy likes her as much as she likes him. Hell, I think the guy likes her more than she likes him."

I shook my head at his answer. But I did become curious, who liked her? Which guy? Looking around the classroom, I fought my sudden urge to find the guy and dare him to even lay a finger on her. Trying to calm myself down, I looked back at Madisyn's seat, I frowned. She still wasn't there. "Where is she anyway?"

Ryan did one of those annoying shrugs again. "She went off with some girls."

I froze. "With who?" Looking around the room, I saw another person missing. Lucy. "Where's Lucy?!" I demanded the room.

In response, the room went silent before one girl spoke up. "I saw her by the gym at the end of lunch."

Pushing out my chair, I beelined it for the door, ignoring the Tutor and Ryan's yells. What a damn idiot! Ryan should have known! He should have known that they were out to get her for Lucy! Damn it! Wasn't it him telling me that she was going to get hurt? And now look!

Bursting out the door and across the yard, it took too long to reach the gym. Took too long to open the door. Moving into the gym, I searched to find Lucy. But all I could hear was crying. And it hurt. Moving towards the sound, I paused when I saw Madisyn curled into herself, cradling her hand against her chest, her hair falling around her. Seeing that Lucy and no other was sight, I crouched. "Madisyn?"

She jumped at her name, looking over at me with frightened eyes. "Come here..." I said, reaching out already, she opened her arms at the same time and let me pull her onto my lap until she was straddling me, arms wrapped around my neck, face tucked in against my neck, soaking my shirt with her harsh tears, but I didn't care.

I spun so that my back was to the newcomer with heavy, yet light and fast footsteps, ready to push Madisyn into the corner if came to that.

"It's me Blade," came Ryan's voice, thick with guilt at the sight of Madisyn crying. "Is she okay?"

Standing, and balancing Madisyn the best I could, she didn't move as I started to head out. "I'm going to take her over to see the nurse. Get her checked over, but I think she's okay."

Ryan followed up behind. "I'm sorry, Madisyn, I didn't think they'd hurt you. I–I thought you wanted to go with them, that's why I didn't say anything..." Ryan continued to mutter in guilt as he followed me carrying Madisyn to the nurse. It was only as I explained to the nurse and left her to check Madisyn over did I drag Ryan and his guilty words away.

"Ryan, it's not your fault, you couldn't have known so chill."

Ryan snorted. "You would have known. She didn't say anything though, just went with them."

I shook my head. "She's a victim, Ryan, she doesn't speak up. She can't. Hell, they could have been dragging her to burn her at the stake and I think she would have walked with them in silence."

"So how do you know she wouldn't want to go with them?" Ryan asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"Body language," I shrugged... paused as I took in Ryan's sudden grin. "What you smiling at?"