Chapter Eleven: Shoot the Messenger

I'm told not to shoot the messenger, but they just ruined a very nice little moment I was having with Luci. I mean, come on! We were looking into each other's eyes and I was convinced that she'd give me another kiss. Then they opens the door, and bam! her smile fell, taking my heart with it. I was half ready to let my power tear into the pieces of shit that interrupted us when I saw the recognition in her eyes. Then I learn that they're her brothers? And I thought my family was crazy.

I leaned over and whispered into her ear, trying to lighten the mood, "am I gonna have to worry about some over-protective little brothers?"

Luci chuckled a little, "You might have to worry about a few of them, but you're too much of a sweetheart for most of them not to like."

"It's you who's the sweetheart, Luci." I twirled her once and dipped into a bow just as she dipped into a curtsey as the song ended. I offered my arm to her in a very 'old timey' fashion, as the humans would say, and she accepted it. We stepped forward, approaching the two angels, each step we took resulted in us floating lower and lower until our toes brushed the ground. I allowed the power to carry me and Luci to the ground before it subsided within me. I felt her power do the same and afterward we approached the angels on foot. Luci sighed and pasted on a smirk before saying, "Hello, boys."

"First." The grey-wing, Raziel, acknowledged. "Mission report?"

"Aborted and you already knew that, now what are you doing here?" Lucifer sneered slightly.

Grey-winged stayed professional, "We came for your mission report. You have failed so we must take over where you left off as it seems you have become . . . distracted by—" He looked me up and down, sizing me up, "—that." I could practically feel the disgust coming off of him at the sight of me. Believe me, the feeling's mutual, I thought. I actually could not believe that my sweet light-bringer was related to this prick.

Despite the offensive comment, I kept my face controlled while my power reared in anger. "Hmm," he mused, "it seems your new dog knows when to roll over."

Ha, he thought that was an insult. I can't wait for Cain to meet him. He says that to the First Murderer and he is definitely going to get sucker punched, at the very least—granted, he was pretty unpredictable so he could also just laugh in his face or outright kill the little bastard. Oh well, what he doesn't realize is that I'd gladly roll over for Lucifer, doesn't matter that I'm a prince or a powerful supernatural being, I'd be her little puppy if she wanted me to. Plus, who doesn't love belly rubs?

But instead of saying all that or letting my mask slip, I called on my power and directed it against my own body. I slowly shrunk into a—probably strange looking—Doberman Pincher. See, where normal Doberman's are brown, I was red like my eyes. I could tell that my eyes unnerved the Matthias but I didn't mind, I actually liked that guy.

"Sam, don't be petty, he's just trying to get under your skin." Luci said, petting my head. I hummed in contentment, my tail unconsciously wiggling with pleasure for all it was worth. I could probably stay as a dog for the rest of my life and be happy as long as Luci was happy and by my side. Though, I'm not so sure about the ticks and mosquitoes, I probably couldn't live with them. I lolled my tongue and licked her hand. "Ew, Sam, you got drool all over me." Please, I did not.

I gave her a long look before nudging her hand again. I know, typical dog. But hey, it felt amazing. She found all the right spots and I had to control the urge to thump my back foot on the ground, that probably wouldn't have helped my case. Though I didn't stop myself from leaning into her hand further, Goddess! she was amazing.

I was probably acting childishly, but I didn't really care. I had no one to impress—not anymore, well—no one but the most important person in the world to me. My light-bringer, and she didn't seem to mind my dog-like behavior. I have to admit, I was pretty cute in this form, I might just keep it for now. I could try to convince her to join me later, we could have some fun pranking a few of the party guests. And, I mean, what's a party without a little fun?

"Sam, I need you to turn back." Luci asked. I whined, why did I need to turn back? I liked being a dog—and most importantly—I liked being her dog. "Please?" I couldn't resist her when she looked at me like that. I sadly nodded my head and called upon my power.

I grew back to my somewhat humanoid form and brushed invisible dust off the shoulder of my suit jacket. Luci giggled, "Sam, you missed a spot."

My eyes widened and I patted myself down, "What? Where?"

Lucifer scratched the side of her ear hesitantly before saying, "You brought your tail with you."

"The damn thing followed me, I swear to the Goddess, it has a mind of its own. Go away!" I said, and snapped my fingers. I looked at my toosh, and grumbled, "good riddance! Can't do anything fun with a bloody tail! . . . Although, the view from down there was fantastic, and I'm actually missing that tail right now." I confessed, "Might have to get my human form a permanent one."

I saw Matthias sidle up to Raziel and mutter, "what in the Goddess's divine name just happened?"

I suddenly facepalmed, "Oh my Goddess! Where are my manners? I haven't even introduced myself. I am Samael, former Prince and heir to the throne of Hell." I bowed slightly to them, refusing to give them much deference. "I have a feeling we're going to get along just fine," I said, addressing Matthias with a pleasant smile which turned into a scowl when I turned my gaze on Raziel, "You, not so much."

Luci scowled at me, "Behave, my little reaper, these are my brothers after all."

"Of course, my light-bringer." I said, grinning at her before turning to Raziel, "I apologize for my words."

I heard a gasp behind me, "What have you done to my son, he has never apologized in his entire life!" Mom! That was so embarrassing! I thought.

"That's true." I heard Cain mutter behind his hand with a cough. It was only then that I realized that the entire room was observing our little 'encounter'.

I smiled at Lucifer, I didn't care what anyone else thought, she was mine and I was hers. Forever. My chest rumbled in a soft purr when she slipped her hand into mine.

Raziel looked both of us over, eyes pausing on our conjoined hands. "What have you done to my sister?"

"I have done nothing, yet." I said, not bothering to tear my gaze from hers. "Though I will admit that I have thought of doing numerous things with her, I have never acted on them until just before you came."

I could tell Raziel didn't approve of my words, "Lucifer would never act like such with an outsider, let alone a demon, what did he do to you?"

"He kissed me." She sighed truthfully, I thought I detected a note of wistfulness in her voice. The blush I had put on her cheeks flamed further with her very own words.

"It's not possible! An Angel cannot be lifemated to . . . whatever you are." Raziel countered, I didn't like his tone, not one bit. A growl erupted from my chest though I quashed it before it left my lips. "Besides, you cannot possible feel anything for this . . . inbred creature." he sounded as if he was disgusted even by the mention of my presence. I didn't care about him, I continued to gaze into her eyes and I could detect the fury within them. She didn't like his words or tone either and that made me smirk with growing admiration and adoration for her.

I leaned into her ear and whispered, "Would you like me to take care of him for you?"

Luci bit her lip slightly which made desire spark within me. She pulled back with a malicious smile plastered to her face, an expression that was both foreign to it and rather fitting. "Yes, please, it will be my pleasure to watch."

I smirked and turned to Raziel, "My light-bringer has given me permission to 'take care' of you, if you do not leave of your own volition, I will do exactly that." I gave them a good ten seconds to leave which should have been more than enough but they didn't move a single muscle. "I hoped you'd choose this option." I growled pleasantly.

My power reared inside me, eager to please my light-bringer. Something showy, then, I decided as I called upon my power to do my bidding. Luci's lessons had paid off tremendously. The armor that I wore that day in the arena that I accepted the position in the Crimson Guard built itself around my form. I cracked my knuckles before then cracking my neck to the left in a threatening fashion. I smirked just before the helmet enclosed around my face and the visor snapped shut. "This is going to be fun!"