Epilogue

The shipwright is oddly quiet. Amanda and all the other Guardians must have gone out to celebrate the victory because only a few frames stand around, sweeping or keeping a close eye on things. She knows they won't suspect what she's about to do. She knows they won't ask her where she's going because they'll only assume that she's going on a mission or bounty. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

Her footsteps echo as she makes the slow walk to their ship.

No, she corrects herself, her ship now.

It becomes painful to think that she'll be the only one using it because she's the only one still here.

Uriah appears from her armor and looks at her. His shell dangles limply, uncharacteristic of his normal attitude, but then again, she feels the same.

Empty and heartbroken.

The only thing that keeps her going is the tiniest bit of hope that they aren't dead, that maybe it was just a miscommunication or maybe they were just simply lost to the Vex timestream. Maybe her fireteam is still alive and well.

Eden can almost imagine it now.

They would all be exhausted, but happy to see her. Lance would give her a hug and promise to cook her favorite food for the next week for worrying her like this. Clovis would hover over his Guardian's shoulder with a look of exasperation but would whisper to Eden that he'd make sure Lance would stick to his word. Axel would give her a pat on the back and joke that she should have been a Warlock with all the over-thinking she was doing, Slate silently agreeing with him. And Jaren... Jaren would wait till the other two and their Ghosts were further up and then he'd walk up to her. His glowing turquoise eyes would soften and he'd grab one of her hands, squeezing it gently. He'd whisper reassurances and apologies for making her worry. He'd lean his forehead against hers and say they'd take the next few days off so he could show her the City like he promised. Then, they would walk together, fingers loosely intertwined. She knew that Uriah and Lux would follow behind. That despite Lux not really caring for her, they would still share a knowing look with Uriah.

Eden's heart aches with the prospect she'll never see any of them again.

"We'll find them. We have to," Uriah mumbles, sensing her despair.

Her golden eyes shine with unshed tears as she looks up at him. His single optic blinks at her with the faintest sense of determination.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" She whispers out, barely loud enough for even her to hear.

Uriah spins his shell and looks at her seriously.

"You're my Guardian. Wherever you go, I go too."

Pride swells in her chest and with a smile that doesn't quite rech her eyes, Eden voices what they're both thinking.

"Okay then. Let's go find our fireteam."

As Uriah floats forward, Eden remembers the flower from the Black Garden. She takes the red bloom from her waistband and looks at it.

The more she stares at the curved scarlet petals, the more it serves to remind her that she failed her fireteam; that she wasn't there when they needed her. Finally, she drops it to the ground and steps on it, crushing it with a chilling blankness to her face.

Eden walks over the sickly sweet mush on the floor and gets on the ship with Uriah. The engine roars to life and then, they're zooming out of the Tower.

Within seconds, the ship is swallowed up by the night sky.