Part 4 - The Vigilante: Death Or Disgrace

Part Four

The Vigilante: Death Or Disgrace

Once again, I woke up from my unconscious state.

Unfortunately.

This time, though, I wasn't fully awake, which was nice...and I wasn't on a moving or jolting surface either. Actually I thought I was on a bed...which, really, did not bode well for me.

Oh, my god...if I kept running with my eyes closed, maybe blind hope would succeed where jumping out of a carriage had failed. Blind faith was never something I'd subscribed too, but right now it was looking like a very attractive prospect.

Really, though, having red-hot pokers shoved through my skull was looking pretty attractive right now when I thought about what was my alternative.

At least that way my death would be quick.

Never being able to pull away...forever repeating the past that many women before me had, my fate to scream and scream, unable to escape the pain...

I knew what was going on: I'd overheard enough from Drew and Kier to know there was a high chance that the prince I would be given to like so much meat would kill me.

Just like many women before me: I'd die screaming. Probably Kemp's name.

After all, the fact I never found him was my biggest regret.

In my only semi-conscious state, I smiled at the memories we had together. How we'd planned to decapitate our way to the top of the pecking order in our neighbourhood.

Decapitation was an oh-so gruesome manner of execution...one that we planned to use to instill fear in those who were against us. We were odd children. But we knew it would have worked.

Now twenty, I just had to deal with this fear of what to come...

My fear that my final escape attempt wouldn't work. Because if I failed, there wouldn't be room in my soul for the pain I would bear.

If it did work and I prevailed: then, oh, what a wonderful tale to tell my children.

How I escaped the spider's web of sins.

Now...all I actually had to do was come up with a plan. How hard could it be?

Considering you have next to no time and no actual idea of that time frame, I thought, very.

Oh, good.

Kier

Death smiled at the end of the line: his eyes cold and cruel.

How I hated that bastard: the one that would soon lay his hands on my Rosie, bruising her and hurting her...even killing her.

I would do anything to free her of him, but death's a bitch, he can never not win. Even I gave even the slightest hint that I didn't want him to have Rosie, he'd just have to have her: her life as hollow as a mannequin's grin.

But, I had one card to play.

Not just my last card, but my only card.

Laurence. That bastard's older brother and Grandomina's heir apparent. If anyone was going to take precedence over the younger prince, it was the older one.

And luckily, that older one was a friend of mine. Had been since I was press-ganged into his service by his father, the only child around his age who wasn't afraid to hit him.

I was suicidal and he was saddened by everyone's fear of him. And thereby a beautiful friendship was formed.

So it was time to ask a favour of my old friend. If he wanted my Rosie - which I knew he didn't; he'd be more likely to fuck me than her, given the chance - then his claim would supersede his brother's and then Rosie could be released into my care.

She'd be safe. With me.

I just had to find Laurence.

Five minutes later and I barged into his room, not entirely surprised to find him on top of a blonde haired man.

The un-named bloke screamed, but Laurence just glared:

"What the fuck, Kier?" he snapped, before turning back to his friend, tugging him close protectively: "It's okay; he's a very good friend. He won't say anything, I promise. Will you, Kier?"

"And have your head cut off? Not unless you forget my Christmas present." I stated dryly: "But seriously, Laur, I need your help. Now."

Caught by the urgency in my tone, Laurence turned to his friend: "Shane, give me a second with Kier, okay?"

Shane nodded and left the room, pulling up his trousers - which had been just below his hips - as he walked out. Laurence wrapped the sheet around his waist and turned to me:

"What do you need, Kemp?"

"For you to choose a breeder."

He laughed.

"No, really." I defended: "Her name is- was Rosie. She was the girl I thought I - " I choked on the words.

"She was your friend you thought you'd killed?"

I nodded.

"And now she's here?"

"Yes. And your brother is going to choose her as his next breeder if you don't get to her first. Please, Laur...I can't lose her again." I begged.

Laur nodded solemnly: "You know I'll do it, Kier. Now, give me time to get myself a little spruced up. To steal my brother's prize away from him, you know I'll need to be the life of the party." he teased.

"If that party's a wake." I responded, hearing him snort as I left the room.

It seemed that the gutter rats, the banes of society, had just bested a Royal...albeit with the help of a prince.

Smiling to pretend I didn't have a care in the world, I strode back down to where I knew the younger prince would be heading to choose his breeder. I told the voice in my head to relax, relax so I wouldn't give the game away. I could be such a fool: but now was not the time to fuck up.

Fuck all the bullshit I'd tried to kid myself and fool myself...this was my only hope and I could not screw it up by alerting the courtiers to anything going wrong.

It was time to make amends.

For so many years, after I'd left the city and Rosie behind, I would look up into the sky and I'd see a monster. I'd left her without one last embrace.

But now: I didn't have that. I didn't care; I'd meet my Rosie, save her from the royals she hated...

We'd be together again. Me and Rosie.

And even on the blackest side of night...I'd look after Rosie.