LFS | Chapter One

June 2013

Eleven year old Sahari was seated on her porch, playing with the charm bracelet that sat on her left wrist. She flicked the charm that was shaped like a bow, watching it flop around. A sigh escaped her lips as boredom overtook her.

"You alright pumpkin?" Her mother, Sharisa, asked as she came outside with two glasses of fresh lemonade. She handed Sahari a glass and kept the other for herself.

Sahari simply nodded, not bothering to say anything.

Sharisa took a seat on the porch swing, slightly kicking her feet back and forth.

A large yellow truck that read Barker Bros. Moving Services made its way down the street. Sahari raised an eyebrow as she watched the truck pull up to her best friend Jharrel's red brick, two story home.

"I know Joyce and them ain't moving?" Sharisa exclaimed, referring to Jharrel's mother.

Two muscular men hopped down from the truck and headed towards the front door of the house.

Joyce opened the door seconds later, inviting them inside. Sahari could see boxes packed up in the living room from where she was sitting.

Were they seriously moving? She thought to herself as her heart sank.

A familiar voice caught her attention. It was him.

The twelve year old walked outside, dressed in a simple green t-shirt, basketball shorts, and a pair of white Air Force 1's. His beautiful head of curls were covered by an Odd Future snap back.
He typed away on his IPhone 4, oblivious to the furious young girl that was about to head his way.

"Jharrel!" Sahari yelled, hopping off the porch.

"Where you going?" Sharisa questioned her daughter, who said nothing and continued to walk.

Her pink flip flops slapped against the pavement as her slim frame maneuvered over to his front yard.

He looked up at her as if she was a ghost. "W-wassup, Ri." Jharrel stuttered, scratching the back of his neck. Ri was his nickname for her, it had been since fourth grade.

"Wassup Ri my behind." She snapped, making his eyes widen. He had never seen her like this. She usually would barely even say two words. "First you ignore me for a whole week, and now I find out you're moving. Why didn't you tell me?" Sahari folded her arms across her chest.

"I-I didn't know how. I knew you would be upset. That's the reason I was avoiding you."

"I'm more hurt than anything." She mumbled, looking down at the chipped white polish on her toes. "You're my only friend. My best friend at that."

"Hey." He grabbed her hand. "I apologize, okay? My mom got a new job in another part of town that's about two hours from here. I'm not too thrilled about leaving either."

Sahari felt her eyes water. She looked off to the side, trying to hide it. Jharrel's face softened. He reached up and turned her face back to him. "Pretty girls don't cry." He used his thumb to wipe the stray tears that had managed to fall from her dark brown eyes. "I promise I'll call and text you as much as I possibly can. Hopefully I don't get my phone taken cause my moms stay on my ass about something." Jharrel shook his head.
"Anyways, you know you gone forever be my best friend. Nothing can get in the way of that." He smiled, making her slightly smile as well.

"I guess you're right."  She said quietly.

"You guess? You guess huh?" Jharrel began to tickle her, making her bust into a fit of laughter.

"Alright alright!" She yelled, prying his hands away from her stomach.

"Come here." He opened his arms wide. Sahari came into his embrace, feeling his arms wrap around her.

No doubt, she felt butterflies forming. Her older sister often teased her about having a crush on him, which she tried her best to deny. Deep down, it was the truth and she knew it.

It was too late to say anything about it now though.

They both released from the hug. "Do you think you might ever move back here?" She asked, now feeling a little better.

"I'm not sure. I guess we'll know if that day ever comes."  He said.

"Jharrel! Get in this house and help me get the rest of these bags!" Joyce poked her head out the front door.

He sighed. "I gotta go. When we get on the road, I'll text you on Kik."

Sahari nodded. "Sounds good."

"Bye." He waved, heading back into the house.

"Bye." She waved as well.

And just like that, he was gone.

To Be Continued.