Chapter 28: The Flight (EDITED)

A loud bang, then gunfire sounded near me. For a moment I thought I was dead or dying. But no, I didn't feel like I was fading. I opened my eyes just in time to see a dozen SWAT guys rushing through the door. I looked to the side, wondering where Santiago was, when I saw him lying on the floor, blood running out his mouth as he gasped for air. I looked around. What was happening?

"Sir, in here!" One SWAT officer called.

A tall man strode into the room as a SWAT guy untied me, helping me away from Santiago's bleeding body. I recognized the tall man as Will! He'd come for me! He passed by me without a second glance and walked straight to Santiago. I heard Santiago chuckle, which was more of a gargle with the blood spilling out his mouth.

"You caught me. Tell her father I said hello. I'll be waiting for him in the next life." With those words, Santiago was no more.

The SWAT officers rushed me out of the room to a waiting ambulance. I wanted to see Will, but the EMTs told me I could go into shock at any moment. They needed to take me to the hospital, so I willingly went with them.

After a couple hours in a hospital bed, I was dying to see Will. I needed to thank him. I needed to tell him how I felt. Someone knocked on the door of the hospital room just then and I hoped it was Will. I was surprised when instead my father walked through the door.

"Annalee, are you alright?! What did he do to you?" He fussed, holding my face between his hands.

I smiled. "He didn't do anything Dad. I'm a little bruised from the car crash, and I have a cut on my forehead from the windshield, but that's it. Though he was about to kill me when SWAT showed up. I'm just glad you're safe."

He glared at me, weathered face hardening. "Don't do that Annalee. You almost died. Please tell me you didn't do something stupid to keep me safe?"

I smiled sheepishly. "Kind of. I convinced him to kill me so he wouldn't kill you and Will."

I saw tears shining in his eyes and lost my voice. That was the second time I'd seen him cry in my life. He was crying for me.

"Don't EVER do that again, young lady. Do you hear me? If it's between us, I'd die anytime. You stay alive from now on, no matter what, okay?" His voice softened and he hugged me close. "I was so afraid I'd lost you for good this time. I promise I'll be the dad you need as long as you stay alive."

I felt tears creeping down my face at his declaration. "Okay Dad, I promise. Don't cry, you're making me cry!" I said indignantly, even as he chuckled.

"Sorry pumpkin."

I smiled at that endearment. I hadn't heard that since before mom died. It was nice knowing he truly loved me. He would have missed me if I was gone. That's a reassurance I didn't take lightly; just a few weeks ago I wasn't sure if he would.

My smile began to fade as thoughts of Will began intruding again. "Dad, why hasn't Will come to see me?" I asked, studying my hand and trying my best to sound nonchalant.

"...I don't know. I thought he would have by now. I spoke to him on the phone a couple times before I could get here and help with the search, and he sounded...very worried about you."

A shadow crossed his face at the mention of the search for me. In that moment, I pushed Will to the back of my mind and saw just how worn my dad really was. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was messy, like he'd run a hand through it many times.

"I'm sure it's no big deal. Why don't you go get some sleep? You look tired."

He glared at me with my words. "I'm not going anywhere. Not without you."