17

T.W.: mention of self harm, attempted suicide

It was summer now. Patton was at one of his lowest points since he started feeling depressed. He looked at the small, fading scars on his arm and sighed. Maybe life wasn't worth it. His crush only saw him as a friend, his dad's were always busy, and bullies got to him no matter how hard he tried not to be bothered.

Patton wiped tears from his cheeks as he stood up. He walked over to his closet and pulled out a length of rope. The fifteen year old opened his window and crawled out.

Patton walked down to the creek, following the water until he found his tree. He pushed aside the branches to see his hammock still there and untouched. Patton went around to the other side of the tree, tying the rope in a slipknot as he went. He climbed a few branches up and tied the other end to a branch.

Patton slipped the rope around his neck and jumped.

The boy felt the rope tighten around his throat. His hands shook as his breathing was cut off. Patton's lungs burned from lack of oxygen. He started to black out.

Patton came to with someone shaking him. He groaned.

"Patton?"

Patton coughed a few times, trying to sit up.

"Woah, take it easy." The person said, helping Patton sit up.

Patton opened his eyes slowly, "Log-gan?"

The boy gave Patton a small smile, "Are you alright?"

Patton nodded slightly, wincing at the small movement. Logan rubbed his back.

"What happened?" Logan asked.

"I was g-gonna mak-ke a rope swing and I tr-ripped and g-got tang-gled." Patton whispered hoarsely.

Logan hugged Patton, "do you want to go home?"

Patton nodded. Logan helped Patton stand up. Patton leaned on Logan as they walked back to Patton's house. Logan held Patton steady as he knocked on the others door.

Remy opened the door, "Patt? I thought you were still asleep?"

"I found him tangled in some rope, hanging from a tree." Logan explained.

"What?!" Remy pulled Patton into a tight hug, "How?!"

"I was mak-king a rope swing." Patton whispered.

"Oh Patt..." Remy cupped his son's face, "You can come inside Logan."

Logan nodded and followed Remy and Patton into the living room. Remy layed Patton down on the couch and went to grab the first aid kit. The father came back and sat next to Patton.

"Oh Patt." Remy sighed, examining the ropeburn on Patton's neck, "I don't think you'll need bandages or anything, just try to keep it clean until it heals."

Patton nodded tiredly, "c-can we watch a movie?"

"Sure." Remy smiled, "Logan? Would you like to stay and watch?"

"That would be nice." Logan said.

Remy went and picked out the new Aladdin movie, "this okay?"

Patton and Logan nodded. Remy gave them a small smile and put the movie in. They all curled up on the couch as the movie started. Patton thought that maybe, maybe... life was okay.