popsicle - nohyuck

-nohyuck

jeno lied back down on the well-kept grass, head only inches away from donghyuck's. donghyuck focused on keeping his breathing even, though it was hard when jeno was so close.

"it's so hot out here," donghyuck didn't have to turn to know that jeno had frowned as he said the sentence.

"do you want popsicles? my dad just bought some yesterday," donghyuck offered.

it was the first day of summer vacation, all of their finals and exams finished for the year. jeno and donghyuck had spent the night at their friend mark's house last night, since he had left for canada bright and early this morning.

donghyuck was so glad they were done with their sophomore year of high school. it had been nothing but a year of stress, both between his friends and school, he really had no time to relax.

which was why jeno and donghyuck had been stretched out in the grass for over two hours, just enjoying each other's company.

jeno nodded and stood, extending an arm and pulling hyuck up with him. "yes, i'm burning out here."

hyuck pushed past jeno, yelling "last one to the kitchen gets a grape popsicle!"

donghyuck laughed when he heard jeno's string of expletives before he took off behind donghyuck.

the two sprinted up the stairs, shoving each other aside as they raced to the fridge.

jeno pushed donghyuck aside, causing him to hit the side of the kitchen island, allowing jeno to pull forward and reach the fridge.

"yes!" jeno yelled before leaning over, trying to catch his breath.

donghyuck groaned in pain as he clutched the side of his stomach, where he had collided with the corner of the island.

"asshole," hyuck muttered when jeno just laughed at his pain.

"lemme find that grape for you," jeno dug through the box, retrieving two popsicles.

he tossed one to donghyuck and unwrapped his, the red color making donghyuck jealous as he unwrapped his own grape one.

they retreated back outside, finding themselves sitting on the hammock in donghyuck's backyard.

the popsicles were sticky, but they tasted cool and sweet in the june heat.

jeno's cheeks were flushed from the heat, and his face was glimmering with sweat. he looked so kissable, donghyuck thought as jeno sucked on his popsicle.

donghyuck shook his head and turned to look the other way as he licked his own popsicle, feeling heat rise to his cheeks.

donghyuck had only just come to terms with his feelings for jeno, accepting them after a long while of denial.

still, he felt weird about being around jeno, which he hated. jeno had been his longest and closest friend since forever and he didn't want anything to change.

"hyuck," jeno snapped his fingers in donghyuck's face, and hyuck swung his head around to face jeno.

"what," he asked, confused and still out of it.

"hyuck," jeno repeated, an amused smile blooming on his face, "your popsicle is melting everywhere."

donghyuck looked down where indeed, his melting popsicle was getting all over his hand.

"shit!" he exclaimed and brought his hand closer, licking the rapidly melting popsicle.

jeno laughed from beside him, finishing off his own popsicle and setting the stick down on the table next to him.

donghyuck turned back to look at jeno, finishing off the last of his own popsicle. now, the two were only inches apart, and donghyuck couldn't stop himself from looking at jeno's lips.

"you still have some on your face," jeno gestured to his lips and donghyuck felt himself blush.

it was now or never. donghyuck had to take the chance. if he had read the situation correctly, jeno would say yes and kiss back. if he had miscalculated . . . well, that wouldn't be pleasant for their friendship.

"maybe . . . you could get it off for me?" hyuck breathed, his voice barely audible.

jeno stared at donghyuck, obviously taken aback. donghyuck held his breath as he attempted to gauge his best friend's expression. jeno didn't look mad, or disgusted. he looked like he was weighing his options. jeno drew his bottom lip in between his teeth like he always did when he was thinking.

then jeno started to lean in, eyes fluttering shut in anticipation. donghyuck's eyes widened before he screwed them shut and let his body move on its own accord. he leaned in to meet jeno halfway, their lips meeting in the sweetest way possible.

jeno tasted like cherries, from the popsicle he had just finished. donghyuck lifted his hands, letting them settle into jeno's hair, pulling jeno closer. it was a soft, slow kiss. one that was perfect for the two boys. one that was perfect for the summer heat.

donghyuck tugged at jeno's shirt, pulling him onto his lap. jeno pushed donghyuck so he fell back onto the hammock, following him and deepening the kiss.

jeno parted his lips, letting donghyuck explore with his tongue. jeno's hands were cupping donghyuck's cheeks softly, and he pressed one last kiss to donghyuck's lips before sitting back, a radiant smile blooming on his face.

"what?" donghyuck asked.

"'maybe you could get it off for me?'" jeno mocked, imitating donghyuck's voice from earlier.

donghyuck laughed, shoving jeno with his feet. "don't be an asshole. at least i made some kind of move."

"i kissed you," jeno pointed out.

"yeah?" donghyuck challenged, sitting up and pushing jeno back down on the hammock. he leaned back down, kissing jeno again.

"there," donghyuck said, pulling back. "i kissed you."

"is that supposed to be a challenge?" jeno asked, raising an eyebrow.

"is it?" donghyuck played dumb, letting out a vibrant laugh when jeno pulled donghyuck closer.

"i'll win every time," jeno whispered and jumped off the hammock, "last one to your room has to clean the bathroom."

donghyuck groaned but pushed off and took off in the direction of his room, sweat droplets making their way down his face. it didn't matter, all that mattered during the summer was that he was happy.