Chapter 1: Don't Start What You Can't Finish

Listen. A lot of people don't go around telling their life story. Most of them are full of either exaggerated stories, fabricated lies, or something in between. I've never been one of those types to make up a bullshit story just to pump myself up. I'm already pumped up enough. Well, if you've seen me before, you'd know that first hand. But there is one story I do want to tell. A story that you may find entertaining, sexy, funny, and maybe a little sad. Well, at least for some people. My name is Carmen Cortez. And this is my story.

But my story begins with me and a girl named Maya...

Growing up in the Bronx isn't the easiest life to live. Everyday is a struggle. And for most of my life, I've had to handle it all alone.My father passed away when I was a little girl, so it's always been up to my mom to take care of me. And most of that consisted of working two jobs just to make ends meet. Being an only child didn't help matters, especially because I never really had friends to make things better in the tough times. So what else is a young Latina to do in a world that doesn't seem ready to accept her? You force the world to accept you.

Now granted, any other woman wouldn't be able to survive the things I've been through. Scratch that. There are probably millions who have survived a lot worse. I'm not any better than anyone else. I guess I feel a little selfish sometimes. I always feel like could be a little stronger than others. Going through school virtually alone, having to scratch and claw for everything I've ever worked for, and wondering if you're going to even survive the next day is something I never wanted to live through.

I remember the first night I saw her. It was late at night, and I decided to go out to get a drink at the club. Now normally, I don't go for drinks very much. But I was twenty-one, alone, and bored out of my mind. So I said screw it. The music was pumping very loud, but I didn't mind a bit. Flashing lights, loud music, drinks, and horny young adults ready for a night of passion with people they may not know. All of the makings of a great club.

I immediately went over to the bar and waited for the bartender to walk toward me. He was busy shaking a drink up for another person a few seats away from me, but I was too busy looking at him to notice. He looked cute enough with his short black hair, t-shirt with skulls,and slightly ripped jeans, but punk rockers weren't really my type.It was mostly his facial looks that got to me just a little bit. But right before I could think about it anymore, I felt someone's finger tap my shoulder.

"Hey there pretty lady. Wanna drink?"

I turned my head and in front of me was a large man who by the look and smell of him clearly had too much to drink. He had a smile that looked like he knew he was getting some, but I wasn't offering, at least not to someone like him.

"Look dude. You look wasted. If you wanna buy me a drink, go over there and cool off first."

He simply laughed as if I was telling him some fascinating joke. Asshole.

"You're funny girly. Just let me buy ya one drink. You won't regret it, promise."

"I'm already regretting it. " I told him, turning back around to not give him any more satisfaction. "So why don't ya do yourself a favor and move in the opposite direction. Got it?"

At that point, the man got a little angry. No, that's a lie. He was pissed. He quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me away from my bar stool, spinning me around. I saw his blue bloodshot eyes and the look on his face and knew that he was in serious trouble. And for someone who didn't want to pick a fight in order to not get kicked out of her favorite hang out spot (that and the fact that I hadn't been in areal straight up fight in years), this wasn't looking very promising.