Chapter Thirteen

~*~

~*~

 She thinks she hears some noise in the middle of the night, hushed arguments, and glass breaking, but when she gets up to check, the noise is gone. At first, she thought maybe Raven or Sean were sneaking around the mansion again until she remembered where she was.

The bunker is so dark inside that it's hard to tell if the sun is out unless the doors are open. She walks around until she finds what looks like a small kitchen. She'd have to adjust to the small space.

"Hey," Caliban greets her with a bright smile despite his pale complexion as he walks into the bunker. "Look who's up and at 'em!"

She smiles back weakly as she walks over towards the dining table, "they still say that in 2029?"

"You'd be surprised, there's still a lot of phrases we say from the past that sort of stuck around," he chuckles. "So how are you feeling? Any headaches? Disorientation?"

"My shoulder is still killing me," she admits. Her right hand hovers her left shoulder, wincing as she accidentally hits a sore spot.

"Yeah, you might not want to do that," Caliban offers. "Your shoulder's still recovering from the wound."

"I figured," she sighs.

"Still adjusting to the future?"

"Yeah, you could say that," she laughs, as she accepts the glass of water with a quiet thank you. "How did you know how to find me?"

"I can sense when there's mutants around," Caliban answers with a small, sympathetic smile. "Just part of my powers."

"Are mutants rare now?" she asks worriedly.

"Haven't been any for twenty five years," he answers and at her look of alarm, adds," If there are any left, they're really good at hiding themselves. It's a long story. You're the first mutant I've sensed in a long time."

"I've got time," she shrugs. "plenty of time, actually."

"Wait, did you just--?" Caliban gives her a look of surprise at her sheepish smile, and innocent look. He shakes his head, "So how'd you even end up in the future anyway if you're from 1962?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out myself," she smiles weakly. "One minute I'm drowning in the ocean, thanks to Erik, it was totally his fault I'm in this predicament, by the way, and I wind up here --"

"Erik?" Caliban's eyes flicker in recognition at the name. "You don't mean Erik Lehnsherr, do you?"

"You know Erik?" She asks warily, and she isn't sure if she's all thrilled that he's still alive now that he's tried to kill her. 

"The guy who calls himself Magneto?" He asks with skepticism.

"Yeah, that's him," she says dryly. Here she thought he despised the nickname. Oh, she can't wait to rub it in his face.