two

With exactly seven days of summer left, Tover woke up to the smell of smoke. Not uncommon, since she was currently in Roman Godfrey's bed. She could feel the sun shine down onto her face and the shadows dancing across the back of her eyelids suggest that Roman was trying to peacefully wake her up. She peeked one eye open to find Roman sitting on his window ledge, one leg up as he smoked with the window slightly cracked. At least he was considerate enough to smoke with the window open. Still, she felt a cough bubbling up in her chest everytime she inhaled the nicotine scent.

   "Is it your plan to smell like cigarettes all the time so that no one will ever go near you?" Roman was snapped out of his thoughts as the brunette in his bed sat up and stretched her arms above her head, the bottom of her tank top riding up to right below her bra.

   "Is it working?" He drops his other leg off the sill so that he can face Tover and puts out his cigarette in the ashtray. She shrugs her shoulders as she rubs her eyes and yawns. He moves to sit next to her on the bed, but is stopped when she holds out a hand and motions to him. Roman sighs and walks over to his bathroom, where he sprays on some cologne and then moves back over to Tover, hands on his hips as he waits to pass her inspection.

   "C'mere." With that, he's diving on the bed next to her and wrapping his arms around her waist to bring her down next to him. Her squeals of laughter combined with his hearty laughter as they land on the bed, a mess of limbs all tangled together. The warmth in his chest is back and stronger than ever as he lays, laughing at absolutely nothing with his favorite person on the earth. Her laughter is contagious as she continues to giggle and clutch at her stomach. Their laughter finally fades and soon, sniffles from the brunette next to him take over. He whips his head to her to find her wiping at her face as the mood in the room changes drastically without her happiness.

   "Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm just - it's just - I'm so happy and I really don't want anything to change. I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm sorry. I just have this dread about what's coming up and I just love you so much and I don't know what I'll do without you." Her sniffles soon turn into more tears streaming down her face as her rambling is cut off as the six foot four teenager tackles her to the bed again, this time, more gently. He cradles her body as they lay together on their sides.

   "Hey, listen to me. You are always, always going to have me, no matter if you leave this shit of a town. And you, Tover Zelmira Gordiano, are one hell of a woman and you are going to absolutely crush it, no matter where you are. You hear me? Even with your god awful middle name and strange habits," His voice is hushed and soft as he pushes her hair out of her face and wipes her face clear of the tears. He scans her face as he waits for that gorgeous smile of hers to spread across her face, and seconds later, it appears, before she's scowling again.

   "Asshole!" She's moving away from him to whack him hard on his bicep. He shoots up to defend himself and soothe the sting as she sits across from him.

   "My middle name is not god awful. It has special meaning and it's unique. What does your name offer, Roman Alexander?" Her voice has taken on more of a teasing tone as he relaxes at the realization that she's not actually mad at him.

   He doesn't respond to her question, only rolls his eyes as he moves to grab a cigarette from his nightstand. She smiles as he lets her win their mini argument and allows him to light the cigarette without giving him any fuss. Roman looks over at her expectantly, eyebrows raised as he waits for her comment. Tover roams her eyes over the beautiful man in front of her as he inhales from the cigarette lying losely between his fingers and exhales a perfect smoke ring. She allows herself to soak in every detail of this perfect moment, as she knows their moments together are limited now that school is about to begin. So, she lets herself scan his face, trying to commit it to memory, from his sharp facial features to the way his hair laid across his face, messy from sleep, and then finally landing on his gorgeous green eyes as she meets his stare. She shrugs, offering no comment or explanation for her sudden silence, although he doesn't usually expect one from her.

   Roman's found that she was always thoroughly observant, always taking in the details of her surroundings all the time and sometimes, that causes her to stop her conversation with him, but he never minds. He loves to watch as she furrows her brows in concentration or possibly wonder as she scans the room or studies the person near her. She had always attested that it came from her love of writing, and to some, that was perfectly reasonable. Roman had believed it too, until she had broke the news that she wasn't going to stay in Hemlock Grove after graduation. Now he realizes that she's trying to soak in every moment before she leaves for good. The thought causes a pang in his chest. He never wants to think about being without her in this stupid fucking town and he's tried to push it to the back of his mind, but with school rapidly approaching, he can't ignore it anymore. Part of him wants to be selfish and ask - no, beg - her to stay, not to leave her, but his best friend deserves more than this stupid fuck of a town can offer her. If anyone deserves to leave this town, it's Tover. So, he can't be selfish, not with her. He needs to be her rock for the rest of this year; he needs to be a good man for her, it's the least her can do after all the shit she's done for him. As Roman looks over to the girl across from him, who is now laying back and peacefully enjoying the quiet, he's determined to be strong for her.

the stars are out

the stars are out

but she's shining brighter