>>One<<

"Don't delay! Don't delay!" He urges, calmly yet emphatically, his up-all-night-TV-audience, desperate for healing, help, and happiness.

Recently, I read an online article provided by BBC exploring the topic of televangelists, those who use their media platforms to bolster their ministries and to feed their ravenous desire for money. Rightfully titled: "Preachers Getting Rich From Poor Americans," Todd Coontz and his wife have perfected their persuasive rhetoric to a science.

"I understand the laws that govern insurance, stocks and bonds and all that is involved with Wall Street," Coontz once said, looking directly into the camera. "God has called me... as a financial deliverer." And immediately, the desperate people begin to flood the phone lines. Tons of them.

He advises them to get their "$273 or $333 seed" ready so that God can bless them. And like little children, these little lambs give all they have, anticipating "God's help" and intervention. And then by way of their "success stories," the Coontz's gospel spreads, growing their private ministry by leaps and bounds. And yet—these people never see the hand of God in their lives. So, unfortunately, these desperate souls believe either God has failed them or He didn't receive their sacrifice.

Not surprisingly, tucked off in a remote area in South Carolina sits a $1.38 million dollar home where the Coontz's reside, allegedly paid for by their church, Rockwealth. Far from the noise of the struggling American life, this televangelist and his wife relax lavishly like a king cooking up their next big ploy.

Honestly, I do not believe all televangelist behave in this way, and the majority are actually sharing the gospel. However, you have to wonder sometimes are people, like the Coontz's, the true definition of a scandal? Are they damaging the Christian reputation? Are these the types of people Paul had in mind when he warned the Ephesians, "I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock"?1

————

Two thousand years ago, the Jewish nation faced a similar scenario. At the start, many believed their Messiah had come! But—in the end, there He hung on a cross, bearing the shame of the Roman world.

Those who passed by defamed him, shaking their heads and saying, "You who can destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are God's Son, come down from the cross!"

In the same way even the chief priests – together with the experts in the law and elders – were mocking him: "He saved others, but he cannot save himself! He is the king of Israel! If he comes down now from the cross, we will believe in him! He trusts in God – let God, if he wants to, deliver him now because he said, 'I am God's Son'!"

The robbers who were crucified with him also spoke abusively to him.

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭27:39-44‬ ‭NET‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

There He hung! See Him? The very one the people had trusted and believed was now dead! His good news seemed more like fake news. After all, how could it be "good" when the leader of the movement was now dead? Doesn't the movement usually die itself once the leader is dead? He told people to believe His gospel—the good news. But from the looks of it, was the "good news" actually "fake news" after all?