Chapter Three

They didn't talk about it, not the next morning when Steve drove Tony back to Peggy's, or the day after when Steve dragged himself back to the library to study some more. He was surprised to see Tony waiting for him at their usual table but didn't comment on it, just said a quiet hello and opened his books.

When Tony ordered lunch, Steve handed him a twenty to cover it, and they ate in silence.

But when Tony started gathering his things to leave at five, Steve reached out and grabbed his wrist, tugging him down until he could cup Tony's jaw, his fingers stroking over the soft stubble.

"You text me..." he cleared his throat. "Every time. Do you hear me?  Every time." Tony's eyes widened and he nodded in understanding. "I will always come and get you. Every time. It's not that I approve or anything like that at all. But I'd rather you be safe with me then on somebody's couch. High or- or not, okay? Whatever this is between us is–"

Steve cleared his throat again, "I don't know what this is, but let's keep working at it. So you text me every time."

"Okay," Tony whispered, his dark eyes damp with emotion, and Steve pulled him down farther until their lips met in a gentle kiss. "Oh." For once, Tony was the one shocked speechless, and Steve smiled for the first time all day.

The next day, Tony was back to normal, sarcastic little comments, long long looks, flirty texts, and not very accidental touches.

Steve kissed him again before he left, longer this time, holding Tony's jaw firmly, his tongue stroking up and into his mouth and the brunette melted against him, moaning softly, sliding into Steve's lap, and kissing him back almost desperately.

"Easy." Steve murmured against his lips, breaking the embrace before anyone else in the room took notice, and Tony shivered.

"Sorry about that." His tone was soft and subdued and he ran his fingers through Steve's hair. "I just never thought a kiss could actually make my knees weak."

"You have been kissed before, right Tony?" Steve asked, raising his eyebrows, his hands tightening around the slim waist.

"Um, not by someone who actually likes me, you know. Mostly just... hookups." Tony admitted, and Steve's heart broke a little.

"Tony." He kissed him again, just to see the pleased smile on Tony's lips after.
********************
It was two weeks of studying together, long goodbye kisses, and quiet talks before Steve got another middle of the night text.

Tony was at the same place, and Steve parked the car, throwing out a quick text so Tony knew he was waiting.

"Hey." Tony jumped in the car, and Steve looked him over quickly.

"Oh. You're–"

"Sober. Yeah." Tony put on his seatbelt and folded his arms.

"Then why–?" Steve motioned to the house then back to himself and Tony sighed. "Why did you call me?"

"You said every time." Tony glanced up at him, then away. "Whether I was high or not, right? So I texted you. Is that, um, is that alright?"

Steve tried not to grin, but he couldn't quite help himself. "So you just–"

"Want to spend some time with you." Tony finished.

"Alright then." Steve pulled the car into a u-turn and headed back to his place, reaching across the seat to lace their fingers together.

*************************
"So, is this like a thing now?" Steve asked, after picking a sober Tony up for the fourth or fifth time in a week. "You calling me at one am just so you can sleep on my couch?"