Chapter 8: Come On

He heard noise around him, people moving, talking. It was to loud. Much too loud, and his head hurt. No, Peter didn't like this.

He woke up again, he should open his eyes. But he was sleepy, and his eyes were heavy. Just another short nap. Yeah just another nap.

That noise, what was that noise? It wouldn't stop. The constant beeping was going to drive him insane. He just wanted to sleep... but that bloody beeping. Peter's eyes slowly opened. He surveyed the room around him. Instantly he recognised it as the med bay, and he looked around at the avengers sleeping across the floor. Steve was sitting against the wall, with Tony leaning on his shoulder. Clint was somehow laying across the arms of the armchair while Natasha was on the floor in front of it. Thor was sprawled in the right corner of the room and it looked as though Bruce had completely collapsed onto one of the other beds in the med bay. The med bay. Peter thought for a moment and suddenly he wasn't quite so sleepy.
Oh no.
Absolutely not.
Shit please no.
He was a regular at failing, but this? Peter couldn't believe he had failed at the one thing he had been certain he could do to finally help the others. Oh lord they knew. They knew what he had done, otherwise he wouldn't be in the med bay. He could hear the beeping getting faster. He looked down at his body and saw tubes and wires attached to him, however he also saw that he was still wearing his normal clothes, that was the only good thing so far. He still had some secrets that were hidden. But his biggest one was out there and Peter could not cope with that. He didn't need to see their pitying, disappointed faces when they woke up. He couldn't.

It took a moment for Tony to realise why he'd woken up. The slow, regular beeping he had fallen asleep to was now constant. To his horror, Tony realised that was noise of someone flat-lining, except when Tony looked at the bed no one was there.
"EVERYONE WAKE UP"
The room of people jumped at the sheer volume of Tony's words.
"WHERE THE FUCK IS PETER? FRIDAY, WHERE THE FUCK IS PETER?"
"I'm sure he's fine," babbled Natasha only half awake.
"Sir, Mr Parker is currently on the roof."
"Shit" Natasha spoke. Adrenaline rushed through the team of heroes and they got to their feet and sprinted after Tony who had already gotten a head start up the stairs. They all knew what Peter had done to land himself in the med bay, and they were terrified of what he might still do.

Tony's eyes were wild as he searched the roof for Peter.
"Come on, come on, come on."
He was bypassed by Clint who ran round the corner shouting as he went
"Over here!"
They all stopped in a line looking at the small figure who was up so high on the edge. Tony froze and so it was Steve who spoke.
"Hey Petey? What are you doing up there?" Slowly Cap shifted forward, "How about you come over here?" His voice was steadier and calmer than would be expected.

Peter turned around with a blank face. They're already here? They're not supposed to be here. They're not supposed to see this. Why are they here they need to go away. His thoughts were all over the place, he could barely grab and keep a hold of one. But they all had the same idea. That this was not what Peter had planned.

"I can't Cap" Peter spoke quietly, too quiet for anyone to make out what he was saying.
"What's that Peter?" Clint said gently from behind Steve.
"I can't. I've already failed, I need to get it right this time."
"Pete come down, please. We'll fix this." Cap continued to try and talk Peter down. He kept his voice calm but he was starting to shake, he just wanted Peter to come off the edge, then he would be safe.
Peter furrowed his eyebrows,"Don't you see? It's better this way, for all of you. For you guys, Ned, MJ, Bucky, Sam, Wanda, Rhodey, aunt Carol, all of them, but also for me. So maybe this is a little selfish, but I can't do this. I'm just so tired so please don't make this harder."
At some point in his speech Peter had started crying and at some point in his speech Tony had unfrozen and crept forward. He dragged Peter down off the edge and he and the small boy collapsed to the ground. Everyone else let out a breath, relieved that Peter could no longer so easily hit the ground. Peter had a stream of tears leaving his eyes but made little noise and Tony continued to hold him closing his own eyes and was just thankful. Scared, but thankful. They stayed like that for a while, Peter muttering out apologies and Tony shutting them down telling Peter it would all be okay. He wasn't sure how long they sat there but the next thing he knew Bruce tapped his shoulder and he realised the rest of them had left. Bruce was holding a sedative in his hand and Tony nodded to signal that he should use it.

Peter couldn't stop crying, it seemed like everything had suddenly hit him. He was alive and now he had to face that he had tried to die. The numbness from earlier had gone. He would have to look his mentor and his childhood heroes in the face with them knowing. He assumed that everyone was going to find out because he knew his family well enough to know that they'd want everyone to help. He had also been telling the truth, he was just so tired and it just hurt so much and the only method he had known to get out of it hadn't worked. So Peter cried. He couldn't react in any other way, he couldn't stop himself. That was until he felt something injected into him and his vision began to fade.

Note: I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter...oh well I guess. Thanks to @benkinosophobia for helping me out with some of the details for the last chapter! Also is their any characters or anything that you guys would be interested in actually appearing in the story?
Published: 05.07.2019