Jeshua - Chapter 3

I was seated cross-legged within an outcropping of rocks and dense olive trees just outside of Jerusalem. It was a favored spot for most seekers to be close to the holy temples but to also be away from the hustle and noise of the city. I decided to go alone, and only Mary knew where I would be for the next several hours.

I had a yearning to be quiet with God and enjoy the connection without distraction in the shaded alcove. We had been traveling much lately, and some of the larger gatherings we hosted had attracted more fervent supporters as well as angry opponents of the words I spoke.

Several minutes into connecting with Father, I felt the presence of someone watching me. I heard the sliding of steel along its sheath and understood. My friend, the centurion who had been lurking around our gatherings, had decided to come by and speak with me.

I said, "Clavius, my brother, what is it you seek?"

Clavius had begun sharpening his blade and stopped abruptly. "How did you know—" He stopped himself, grunted and then walked toward me. "I thought it was time for me to impart some practical wisdom to you, Rabbi."

I kept my eyes closed while maintaining connection with God, yet still aware of Clavius' presence. I waited for him to begin.

"Will you not look at me, Rabbi?" His sword making a high-pitched tapping tone on the stone strewn ground.

"Would you prefer to join me, brother? We can join with our Father in Heaven. It is easy. Let me show you." I opened my eyes and extended my hand.

Clavius' muscular jaw clenched and he rubbed fresh scruff under his chin, and then sighed. "I did not come here to learn of your mystical Jewish ways or to hear your speeches. I have heard enough of them lately."

He lifted his sword with a slow scrape across the dirt. "I have come to give you the first and only warning you will ever get from me. Leave Judea - today. I will not pursue you, and your life will be spared. Just never return to this land or any Roman land again." He stepped forward and placed the tip of his blade on my chest and gave a very slight push.

Feeling nothing, I simply smiled. "Are you sure you do not wish to sit and join me?"

"Rabbi, I assure you that this is no idle threat. Your words have upset more people than you realize. Powerful people. If you do not stop, the next time you see me I will place you in restraints and take you to trial. You will be put to death. Understood?"

"What I understand is that there is no death. What you think you are doing to my body even now holds no effect on me. I am one with my Father. Again, I invite you to join me."

I noticed Clavius's lower lip tremble. His face turned as red as the sun before a storm. His open hand ran through his cropped brown hair. "This is no joke, Rabbi. You will die if you do not leave." He leaned his blade a little further into my chest, but there was still no pain. I could feel a small amount of blood form next to the blade. Clavius backed away and sheathed his sword. "You have been warned," he said, shaking his head as he stomped away from the outcropping.

I smiled, took a breath, and then resumed my meditation with Father.