Foreign Exchange Student

"Awww, that outfit is so cute, you have to wear that tomorrow!" I squeal, it was a beautiful blue floral dress that her parents picked out and she likes it, unlike usual. Sydney and I turn as we hear heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. I role my eyes passing a Milkshake to her as I plop down beside her.

"Mum, Mum i'm trying to do work up there, so can you please tell these guys to keep it down?" Teddy practically begs Mum as I watch from the couch drinking my smoothie. I giggle, we live above a Bowling Alley, but Teddy hasn't been taking the noise really well this week. His dancing Robot project is due soon and he wants it to be perfect.

"Well this is a Bowling Alley, so, no?" She tells him amused "Honey you've been up in your room all day, why don't you take a break, have some fun, go play in the arcade with Sydney and Luna" She continues wanting her son to enjoy his childhood.

"I don't have time for Fun, no offense guys. I have one week left to finish my break dancing robot project, Now does that sound like fun" He asks sarcastically, Mum looks at him confused

"Kinda" she pauses thinking before she begins sprouting 'modern' dance movements whilst performing them where everyone can see her. Teddy and I share a look. Horrified I stand up walking over and putting my hand on Teddy's shoulder.

"Mum, right now my robot can't even do the robot, which is why I have to finish it, look Ma this is all a very important part of the 'Year of Teddy!" Oh No! Not this again he never shuts up about it, it's 'Year of Teddy' this and 'Year of Teddy' that, it never stops. As his twin, I have it the worst, there is always something that he has to do and because we share everything with each other, it is onslaught.

"Year of Teddy?" Mum asks

"The Year of Teddy! Everything in my life has been building up to this year and all my hard work is going to pay off when I get into MIT Summer Robotics Program!"

"Honey, I'm sure you--"

"That can only happen if I win the State Junior Tech Fair and that can only happen if I get the top grade in my robotics class and that can only happen if  my robot is shaking his tiny tin booty by next Tuesday! Year of Teddy!" I rub his back comfortingly, I feel bad, He feels so much pressure for this as he feels he must protect me from the world. I am younger by thirty minutes and he wants to protect me from everything he can. Financial Problems, Bullying you name it.

"Teddy, i'm glad that you are so focused on you future and keeping Luna safe, but your only a kid once and you should have friends" She pleaded with him.

"Hey, I have friends!"

"Who aren't robots!" she interrupts "Which is why, Luna and I  signed us up to host a Foreign Exchange Student! Yay!" She enthuses trying to give Teddy a high five, he looks at me offended as I shrug innocently

"Teddy, Mum's right, you need friends who aren't robots. You've been protecting me from every little thing imaginable but you have been ignoring what you need. I think having someone stay here will be a great opportunity, for the both of us." I say with a angelic smile begging him to agree.

"You know what, Fine! I have really important work to do, like teaching my robot how to JuJu on that beat!" He says storming out of the bowling alley but not before giving me a glare. "This was supposed to be the Year of Teddy!" He yells. I sigh he just doesn't like the thought of another person being there for me.

"How about we bake some Macaroons?" I ask Sydney, she quickly agrees, everyone loves my macaroons and I plan to give the Exchange Student some as a welcome gift. I pull out the ingredients and Sydney and I get to work. We talk about pretty random things, but she slips up when I ask who her crush is... she told me it is Teddy! Eek! Teddy has had a crush on her forever (like kindergarten) and now she likes him back, unfortunately she begs me not to tell him until I promise.