10- love

piper mclean is seriously fucking me up.

my closely scheduled life has slowly been slipping into disarray.

it's one thing to spend a few nights staying up. going to her concert. getting drinks. but now it's taken over. i spend hours at night, listening to her music. her entire album. looking up her interviews and articles. watching music videos and live performances. scrolling through her instagram. she plagues my thoughts as i try to sleep.

i can only think of that summer.

we both sat on the roof of my house, gazing up at the suburban sunset. the air is hot and dry. strands of her hair fly with the breeze.

"never have i ever... been to a big highschool party. with drinking and stuff."

"guilty. they are crazy." piper said. "never have i ever been to public school."

"that's cheating!" i retort.

piper laughs and it sounds like bursts of sunshine.

"okay, fine. never have i ever been homeschooled." i say slyly. piper grins.

"never have i ever smoked anything." i say.

"guilty." piper says.

"of course you are," i say, laughing.

"weed. the weed itself is okay. but the people i was with were... awful. worst night of my life. and i was so high and confused the whole time. i don't wanna do it again." piper explained, looking far off. "never have i ever... loved a boy."

"oh. guilty." i hug my knees close to my chest, despite the warm air. i look sideways at her. "never loved a boy?"

piper shook her head. "i've kissed boys and been in relationships. never truly loved one. was he nice? the one you loved?"

"i thought he was..." i gaze down at my feet. "never have i ever kissed a girl."

"me neither." piper says.

"finally, something! you've done, like, everything." i say. piper's lived a full life.

the roofing is abrasive against our skin. her touch is soft, though. she reaches out and holds my hand. our fingers intertwine. we could kiss now. on the roof. sun is setting. we could do it. anxiety seizes me. i look away. piper catches on.

"this game isn't as fun as it would be with more people," piper says.

"i like spending time with just you, though." i say.

she smiles. "me too."

we both look forward towards the pink sky and the neighborhood sprawl beneath us.

"i have to go home soon," she says. "curfew."

"okay," i say. "i wish you could stay."

she grins mischievously. there is a glimmer in her eye. "i'll meet you at midnight. we can sneak away."

i nod, feeling warm. excitement shoots up my body. i feel as though i'm truly living.

"midnight," i say. "see you then."

our hands separate. i still feel a tingling in my fingers, as if a ghost of her were still holding them.

bzzzzzt bzzzzzt bzzzzzt

i look up from the pile of laundry i was doing. my phone is ringing. piper mclean.