1

CHAPTER ONE
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

note: italics are for flashback

"it's been 10 years, mr lee.." the nurse finally had the courage to speak. she hardly swallowed down her saliva. she was facing the old man's back which were hunched a little bit.

"i know," his low and deep voice almost couldn't be heard. he took a sip on his coffee while staring at the hustle bustle of Seoul from the big glass window. he glanced at the nurse before heading towards the one and only patient who were laying on the specialised ward bed.

"such a miracle," said the nurse. "she was the first patient that went into a coma in 2011 and haven't regain consciousness since then."

"many patients went—" before she could finish her sentence, mr lee had cut her from it.

"she was such a sweetheart back then. she was my guardian angel." the doctor smiled faintly, placing down his coffee mug on the bedside table before stroking the patient's hair. his heavy-lidded eyes examined her peaceful face.

mr lee used to love it so much when she smile revealing her dimples, greeting him a good morning before she go to school. she would always remind him to sleep whenever he could after finishing his shift.

she was the apple of people's eye.

"mister lee!

mr lee automatically smiled when he heard her sweet voice, always reminding him about his late daughter. how sad that she was too young to be dead at the age of 16.

"eunjeong ah," he took off his gardening gloves and stood up. "how many times should i remind you that you can call uncle instead." the younger girl smiled at him, scratching her nose.

"what brings you here? and what's with the fancy dress you're wearing?" mr lee put his hands on his hip while looking at eunjeong.

"it's a relief that i finally get to see you rest, mister. and you didn't smell like sick person for once."

he laughed and ruffled her hair. "you little—"

eunjeong crooked a smile, "i'm just kidding mister. my parents take me for dinner tonight since they will leaving again for a trip next month. that's why i'm wearing this dress. oh and this," she handed him a box of pastries. "i baked it myself. hope you like it."

mr lee took it from her, "aigooo thank you for this."

she chuckled and bowed at him. "gotta go now mister. goodbye." with that, she waved at him and walked towards her house which was only one block away.

"mr lee, are you alright?" the nurse asked when she saw falling tears on mr lee's cheek.

the man nodded and quickly wiped his wet cheek. even if he doesn't have the right to cry, he still couldn't stop the guilt of his reckless behaviour 10 years ago. the tears couldn't wake her too.

he took a deep breath before proceeding to drink his remain coffee, walking towards the door. "as usual, look after her. i'm going to check my other patient."

the nurse nodded and bowed, closing the door for him.