Chapter 4

I decide to give up trying to get back to sleep as my attempts are useless. This is the fifth time I have woken up from nightmares about my child getting reaped and killed in the games, and it's only 2.00am. I get up from my bed without waking Peeta and head downstairs. I pour a glass of water and curl up of the couch, staring into darkness.

A chill runs through me as I remember that Peeta and I have to tell his family about the pregnancy today. I'm not worried about his father, I'm sure he will be supportive. His mother is who I'm most scared of. I keep telling myself that I'm being pathetic, I'm Katniss Mellark. I have survived the Hunger Games and I'm scared of my husbands mother. Then I realise, behind the mask of fame and bravery, I'm only seventeen, I'm still a teenager.

I don't know how long I sit there staring into space but the next thing I'm aware of, I'm being shaken awake by Peeta.

I sit up slightly, showing a small smile. "Morning."

He sits next to me and hands me a mug of hot chocolate. "Why were you sleeping on the couch? Whats wrong?"

"Nothing." I say, sipping my hot chocolate. "I came down here last night to get a drink and must have fallen asleep."

He nods, "Your'e okay though? Not in any pain?"

I shake my head. "No, Peeta. I'm fine."

"What do you want for breakfast?" He says, kissing me and heading towards the kitchen.

"Can I just have some toast please?" I say, Peeta nods.

I get dressed and when I walk back into the kitchen, Peeta is sitting at the table opposite a plate of toast.

"You look nice." Peeta says. I thought I should make an effort today as Peeta's family is coming over for lunch.

"Thank you." I smile.

We eat in silence. He's trying to hide it but I know Peeta is scared about telling his family about the baby.

I glance at the clock, it's 11.30 and they are coming at 1.00.

Peeta and I do the washing up, then lay on the couch together, not saying anything, just thinking.

It startles me when Peeta breaks the silence. "We can't risk our baby going into the games."

Of course I've thought about this, I just haven't wanted to accept reality, until now because I suppose I have to.

"I know. We are just going to have to cover my bump for as long as possible and I have no idea what to do after that." I say.

"We'll be okay, I promise." Peeta says, kissing my head.

I hope so..

*****

I open the front door to Peeta's parents, Max and Theo.

"Hi, come in." I say in the nicest tone I can manage.

Peeta enters the living room, brushing the flour off his hands and sits next to me after greeting his family.

"How are you two? We haven't seen you in a while." Peeta's dad asks.

"Dad we saw you three days ago!" Peeta laughs, and I giggle.

"I know, I know. It just seems weird not seeing you everyday that's all." He replies.

"Come on, it should be ready by now." Peeta says, and we all follow him into the kitchen. We sit at the table while Peeta brings our stew and bread.

There is minimal conversation because the stew is delicious, but when we all finish I know we have to tell them now.

I look over to Peeta and nod. We both agreed he would tell them.

"We have something to tell you all." Peeta says, and they look at us expectantly. He looks at me again before he blurts out, "Katniss is pregnant."

AUTHORS NOTE;

I know, I know. I haven't updated in weeks but I have just been so stressed recently! I'm so sorry it was short and really bad but I wanted to update tonight because I felt super bad for not updating!! Thanks for all the comments and votes, I really appreciate it! Love you all and May the Odds be Ever in your Favour!!

-Megan x

Twitter - @peetasbread7