Chapter 3: Game On, Casino Boy

Jade's POV

I watch in amusement from the bar as an obliviously drunk couple stumbles onto the center of the casino floor. They hug each other tightly and begin swaying slowly to the roaring of the slot machines, foreheads touching. The bartender and the people sitting alongside me throw them dirty looks—but I find it kind of sweet.

I turn back to face the dimly lit bar, scanning the area for someone who looks generous enough for me to bum a cigarette off.  A group of skinny, agitated, middle aged men sit across the bar from me, anxiously scratching at their saggy skin and downing shots like it's chocolate milk. It's obvious that they're drug addicts. I recognize it from years of taking care of my dad. Poor suckers are definitely trying to conserve their hidden stash of meth and bath salts. Too bad I don't spot a pack of cigarettes on them or else I would've been out of here a long time ago.

I look around again but I don't spot anyone who doesn't look like a snitch. At this point I would jump off the ship and swim back to land for just one drag.

I slide off the bar stool and head for the door to the balcony outside. I need some air. A gentle breeze caresses my face as the door shuts behind me. My feet dance alongside the railing as I stare out into the emptiness of the sea. The dark horizon stretches out in all directions around me.

Dad.

He's out there somewhere, even if I can't see him. Or hold him.

He's out there somewhere, and I know I'll find him.

Suddenly, my shoulder slams against something hard. I jump as heat simmers against the skin of my toes.

"Watch it!" I hear a voice from beside me. I look down to see ashes spread across my feet and a fallen cigarette inches away from me.

A cigarette.

I scramble to grab it when my head collides against the stranger's as they reach for it too. Smooth Jade. Real subtle.

I spring up to see a boy about my age. His emerald green eyes sparkle as they catch a hint of the casino lights flashing through the window. They're a passionate green, the kind of green that just screams spring.

"Jesus Christ, this is a cruise ship, not the fucking MMA." He rubs his head, sliding his cigarette back into his mouth before taking a drag.

I roll my eyes and shake the ashes off my feet. "Good thing it's not the MMA or else I'd kick your ass," I mumble.

He looks taken aback, as if what I said somehow affected him. Something tells me he's probably not used to people standing up to him.

He laughs. "Right, a five foot toddler." He leans in until his face only a few inches from mine. "Go for it."

My blood boils as he leans against the railing with a subtle smirk plastered on his face.

Wow. Insulting my height. Real original, but I'm impressed. He actually has the balls to try me. Though I can see a hint of arrogant intensity in his warm green eyes, his face still holds a friendly yet irritating smile. Game on, Casino Boy.

"Fu-" the bartender cuts me off right as I'm about to cuss him out.

"You kids better find somewhere else to hang out," he says with a stern voice, probably after overhearing our conversation. The poor bartender has probably handled so many bar fights he can see the signs that lead to it before it happens.

"-and get rid of that cigarette," he adds.

Casino Boy lets go of the cigarette and I watch it fall into the watery abyss. The bartender opens the door for us and we're immediately greeted with dirty looks from the people at the bar. Regardless the sneers and whispers, I hold my head up high before wandering into the maze of slot machines and blackjack tables.