Chapter 6

I woke Saturday morning to the sound of Carson's house phone ringing. I sat up in the bed and that was when I heard the shower running.

Stretching for the phone that was on the nightstand, I picked it up and put it to my ear. "Hello."

"Hi, Darling! How are you doing?" I heard Marilyn's familiar voice on the other end.

Instantly, a genuine smile came over my face. "Hi, Marilyn. I'm doing great. How are you?"

"I'm great as well. It's good to hear your voice." She said.

"It's always good to hear from you too," I said sincerely. After a while we started to catch up, talking about any and everything.

Marilyn had become like a mother to me and I missed her so much. She would always check up on me and have that motherly love and care as if I was her daughter. I'm really grateful to her and I'm glad for the bond that we have.

"Where's Carson?" She asked after a while.

"He's in the shower," I informed her.

"Okay, I'll call him later." She said, then added. "Talk to you a next time. I've got to go."

"Okay, bye. Hug Mr. Knight for me." I said.

"He'll be delighted. He's still stubborn as a mule, but he talks about you a lot." She chuckled to herself, before adding. "If you ever need anything, anything at all, don't hesitate to ask me, okay? I'm always here for you."

"I know, Marilyn. I really appreciate it." I said.

I can imagine her smiling on the other end. "Bye dear. I love you. Stay safe and don't forget to call me."

It wasn't the first time, she has told me that she loved me, but every time, I heard it, my eyes filled with water. She has come to mean so much to me and I was so grateful to her. "I love you too, Marilyn. I won't." I replied, trying not to sound choked up.

The phone disconnected as soon as the bathroom door opens revealing Carson. Carson looked at me then frowned. "What's wrong?"

I didn't even notice that my eyes were still filled with water until I blinked and it rolled down my cheeks. I smiled at him, wiping my eyes. "Nothing. Your mother just called. You know how emotional I get when I talk to her."

Carson smiled. "Yeah, I know." He came over to me and kissed me on my forehead. "Did she want to talk to me?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yes. She said she'll call you later."

"Okay, I'll call her when we get back."

"By the way, where are we going today?" Carson had told me that we were spending the day together. We have been apart for three months, so he wanted today to be all about us.

Carson smiled wide. "I have a few things in mind." He said. "Just wait and see."

••••••

Carson was right when he said he had a few things in mind. It was one full day and I enjoyed every minute of it. Carson took me to an adventure park. This day definitely made up for the three months that we spent apart.

First, we went horseback riding, which I've always wanted to do. Then, we went kayaking, which was amazing and then we rode on a motorized quad bike, which was extremely fun. Carson knew how much I enjoyed adventurous and outdoorsy dates, then a day spent in a restaurant just eating. So imagine my excitement when he took me here.

After a day of pure adventure, we decided to have a small picnic in a secluded area of the park. Apparently, Carson had packed blankets, sandwiches and snacks that I wasn't even aware of. We had finished eating and I was now sitting up on the blanket with Carson lying down. His head was rested on my lap and he had his eyes closed as we sat in silence.

"Thank you for bringing me here, Carson. I had such a wonderful time." I said, thinking about the amazing things I did today. Things I've never done before. I appreciate Carson for going all out to make this day a special one.

Carson opened his eyes and smiled. "It was my great pleasure."

After a few minutes, I said. "Are you looking forward to going back to school on Monday?"

"Yep. Even though I loved my experiences on internship, I can't wait to go back into the classroom." He replied.

"What did you do there, by the way?" I asked curiously.

"Well, we worked on real problems and worked on making great web services." He explained. "However, because we were new to the whole aspect of computer engineering, mostly we were given researches and testing innovation."

"Wow." I breathed. "Sounds interesting and a lot of work."

"It is." Carson agreed. "But I learnt a lot and enjoyed every minute of it. The supervisors there were impressed with my work and said I showed real potential for a second year student."

"That's great. I'm really proud of you." We lapsed into a comfortable silence again as I absently run my hand through Carson's hair. We stayed like this for about two minutes, when I suddenly laugh.

"What's funny?" Carson asked.

"I was just remembering something from a long time ago." I chuckled as I remembered the memory. It's funny how that particular memory just came to me at this moment.

Carson tilted his head a little to look up at me. "And what's that?"

"It was just something you asked me when I found you in the junkyard drunk," I replied. I laughed again.

Carson lifted his eyebrows and looked at me with interest. "Now I'm curious. What did I say?"

"You asked me if I knew why cars drive instead of fly?" I said, still smiling at the memory.

"I asked you that? What kind of question is that?" Carson asked puzzled.

"I don't know. You also gave me an answer too." I replied.

"What was it?" He asked.

"You said because they are a fish," I said laughing again.

"Because they are a fish?" He repeated in disbelief.

"Yep," I said, nodding my head, a smile played on my lips. "You sure are full of surprises."

Just then Carson erupted into laughter and I joined him. When Carson contained his laughter, he looked at me again, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "You're right. That is funny. I can't believe I said that."

"Oh yes, you did." I then patted his cheek. "Don't worry, I find it adorable."

"Adorable?" He asked, his mouth lifting in a smile. "I thought that word was only reserved for you."

"Nope. It goes for you too." I smiled teasingly at him. "Don't worry though. I like adorable Carson."

"Hmm...Well in that case then, I guess I could live with it." He took my hand that was now caressing his cheek and brought it to his mouth and kissed my palm. "But only for you though."

"I like that." I brought my head down and give him a quick kiss on the lip. I then sighed. "I wish this day could last forever."

Carson grinned at me mischievously. "This day is not finished yet."

"What do you mean?" I asked, furrowing my brow.

Carson got up from my lap and extend his hand to help me up. "We still haven't played any inside games as yet."

I allowed Carson to help me to my feet, then smiled. "What do you have in mind?"

"Interested in taking me on in Laser Maze?" Carson wriggled his brows challengingly.

My mouth stretched into a wide smile. "Bring it on, Knight."

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
AN: Hi!

I'm back to updating this story now that I've rewritten "Her Saving Grace". After all, there wouldn't be any point to this story without it.

I hope you liked this chapter!

Please remember to vote and comment if you liked.

Stay happy!

Alecia