2-Invitation

Started Typing On – 07/07/2019

Chapter 2- Invitation

~

Author's Pov:

Monday 6Th May 2019

She gulps down her coffee with a toasted bread in her hand ready to chew onto it. "Did he get back to you?" Her husband's morning—sleepy—voice came from behind her, Ellie stilled for a few seconds to adjust to the hot coffee burning her tongue.

"Oh Jesus." She curses, opening her mouth to blow air in order to get rid of the tingling sensation lingering on her red tongue. Her hand flung into her mouth and she hisses while Josh takes the bread from her hand and starts to bite into it.

"Told you to be careful." He muttered with a full mouth. Leaving a hissing and glaring Ellie in the dining table he walked into the kitchen to pack her a sandwich. "Did he get back to you?" She raised her eyebrows at him. She watched him through the kitchen counter, noticing his every movement. "Hale. What was his name again?" He turns around to take the lunchbox out.

"Nathan Hale." She replies quickly, taking the seat on the stool in front of the kitchen counter and placing her coffee mug down. "I tried calling him back after he spoke to you but haven't heard anything from him. I emailed him but perhaps he doesn't check his work mails during the weekends?" She tried to reason, shrugging.

"And maybe—" Josh turns with the lunchbox in his hand, shutting the lid firmly and passed it to his wife. "—He's just an asshole with attitude." He smiles at her but it doesn't touch his eyes and nor show in his face. Just a fake small, annoyed smile like he's trying to hide his annoyance.

"Josh." She whispers, her hand placed on top of his. "He's my boss."

"Which is why I tolerate him even when he calls you for those stupid charity functions till late night because you're his PA." The major eye rolls takes Ellie of guard. She smiles and hits his shoulder over the counter. "He sounded like a demanding guy, El."

Her smile slips away. "Well, yeah, I mean, he's pretty stern twenty-four seven. Never saw the guy smile even once." Curling her fingers around the mug she inhales it's warm steam. "Hurry up Josh, we'll both be late." Unlike other days, today Josh had decided to drop her off to work and pick her up in the evening.

He nods and quickly drinks his own coffee quickly. They headed out the door, locking it shut before sitting inside the warm car. He drop smoothly, both talking and laughing about different topic until it was time for Ellie to get out of the car and of to work. "Thank you." She smiles sincerely.

"Did you keep your coa—"

"Yes, I did." She quickly answered before he became too protective over her. Leaning in to give his lips on peak she got of the car, pushed the door until they both heard a familiar sound of the door locking. Waving through the window she walks ahead, approaching the big building with the cold wind sweeping her hair in all the directions.

Wrapping her arms around herself, her fingers touched the soft fabric of her dark green coat as she pushed her hair back. She turned around to see Josh had left already. "Morning." Someone's manly voice said. Ellie turned to see a man wearing a black suit with a serious look. Black hair, stern clean shaven face, he looked around in his early thirties.

"Morning." She smiled. It was strange to say but Ellie noticed the name for the first time. She glanced at the surroundings around him to realise he was her bosses Bodyguard. Does he need one though?

One last polite smile and she hurries inside the building, sighing in relief to be greeted by warmth compared to the chill weather. "Morning Rose." She greeted her colleague, turned friend with a cheeky smile. "Back with Luke?"

Rose snarls at her in disappointment. "Stop mentioning him. This time I'm actually trying to move on." Her words could be convincing if the sadness didn't show through her eyes and expressions.

"I believe ya." Ellie muttered before walking into her small cabin. She was just arranging her laptop onto the table and taking out files from her purse when Nathan—her boss—barged into her cabin with. There's this unusual tightness in his face compared to other days, his angry eyes watching her like she's touched something she was forbidden to be near.

"I called you in the weekend, Mrs Adams." His annoyed and disapproved voice rumbles through his chest. The harshness of his voice were slicing through Ellie's smile which now disappeared.

"Y-yes, Sir." She agrees, nodding her head. "My husband—" He winces, she doesn't notice. "—informed me. I tried to get back to you over the phone and email but yo—" He shows her his hand, commanding her to stop. Her throat goes dry. He's never been his pissed at her before.

"Stop giving me excuses." His voice raises and he walks closer to her. The table blocking their bodies from touching. She tries to avoid his intimidating gaze. "I've come to inform you about the party Mr Lockwood has thrown this Friday. It's very important and I must have you accompany me. We may meet new investo—"

"I'm sorry but I can't come." Josh and I are supposed to go out for dinner. Nathan's eyebrows knit together in confusion but overall annoyed. "I've got family dinner over."

He nods and she sighs in relief. That was easy. "Simple, change the family dinner timing. Have it another week. It's this Friday at seven p.m., I'll come to pick you up." Her mouth drops open in shock, this gives Hale delight. "I'm guessing your address is in the record? Perfect. Get on with your work." And off he goes, hiding the smirking forming in his lips.

She sinks onto her chair and licks her dry lips slowly. How do I tell Josh? Composing herself quickly before wasting too much time Ellie logs into her laptop to keep herself busy.

The day ticks by steadily. Ellie had forgotten about her conversation with Hale until he emailed her the details making her frown. There was so doubt he was pretty stubborn and demanding, just like Josh had told her this morning. She packs her stuff, closing the door of her cabin shut.

Taking her phone out of her coat pocket, her eyes were busy trailing on the bright screen that she hadn't realized to bumped into someone. Bother their heads hit each other's and groaned in pain. Ellie reached out to massage her sore forehead when she heard a familiar voice, "Can't you watch where you're going Mrs Adams?"

She looked up to find Emma standing in front of her. From what Ellie had known throughout her days working under Hale, Emma was his childhood friend. Though some though they were more than friends but it didn't seem serious to anyone, Emma's finger still remained ring-less. "Sorry Miss Bell."

Emma Bell's skin was covered with heavy makeup. Her eyebrows arched in arrogance, her full lips coated with blood red lipsticks. And eyeshadow darker than needed. It was a shame, nobody saw the real Emma apart from the plastic version of herself. Her brown hair left open bracing her naked shoulders. She wore an off shoulder top with tight blue jeans.

"Whatever." Rolling her eyes, both the ladies walked the opposite direction. Emma walked ahead to find Nathan standing by his office door, his eyes hypnotised. Not watching his friend but Ellie. He watches her like nothing else exists around him. "Hey." Emma keeps her voice even but inside she's burning. She goes in for a hug and kisses his cheek.

Just then Ellie watched the scene unfold in front of her eyes. She was standing inside the elevator just when Emma took the opportunity and pressed her lips on his clean-shaven cheek. Nathan wanted to see anything. Just any sort of emotion given away from Ellie's expression to show she's jealous or hurt.

But she smiles.

A genuinely sweet smile with just the right touch of happiness and friendly warmth rushing through her. It makes Nathan's colour drain and his stomach lurches.

Widow

Next chapters would be published as soon as I've retyped them.