I love you

(After season 3)

"Okay, but look at it this way then. His name literally means 'Dark Father' meaning he is the dark father, Luke's and Leia's father" Dustin said.
"Well that could just be a coincidence" Mike said.
"Really? Who do you think is the father then?" Lucas asked.
"I don't know, Anakin?" Mike said.
"They're literally the same person" Lucas said.
"We don't know that for sure!" Mike said.
"It's so clear Mike! You just don't wanna believe you're once and for all, wrong!" Dustin said.
"What do you think Max?" Lucas asked.
Max was sitting in the corner of Mike's couch reading a comic while the guys sat around the table arguing. But all heads had suddenly turned to her.
"Yeah, Max?" Mike said. He always got frustrated as soon as they had an argument.
"Okay, considering the timeline fits in perfectly and, as Dustin said, his name means 'Dark Father' there's a good chance he is the father-"
"Exactly" Dustin said.
"-but since we don't know for sure yet who Darth Vader is or where Anakin is, there's a big chance Anakin is the father too." Max said.
"Thank you" Mike said when Max finally was on his side.
"But they could also be the same person. We don't know yet." she ended with.
Mike rolled his eyes and Dustin said yet another argument to why Darth Vader was the dad. Lucas had stopped listening to the argument as soon as Max started talking. Her geeky, but still not in a weird way, brain amazed him more than anything.
"What are you staring at?" Max asked when she noticed Lucas' eyes on her.
"Nothing" he said and looked away.
"Sure stalker" she said and smiled to herself.
One of her cheeks formed a little dimple while the freckles shined breathe her smiling eyes.
Her hair was tucked behind both her ears but covered her face on one said as she shook her head.
She really was beautiful.
"Guys, I miss Will and El" Mike said after awhile. It was first now that both Max and Lucas realized the arguing had quit. "It's not the same without them."
Lucas sat down on the couch next to Max, Dustin sat down next to Lucas and Mike next to him.
"I miss them too" Max said.
"But at least we're still here" Lucas said, more to Max than to Mike. "We shouldn't be so sad our friends are gone. It's not like we'll never see them again."
"Just because you have your girlfriend and favorite friend here" Mike said.
"Hey, we don't have favorite friends" Dustin said. "None of us do. It's a rule."
"I just miss their presence, that's all" Mike said.
Although none of them added much to the group, they both were the quiet ones, Max definitely agreed that it wasn't the same without them. And by the way Lucas talked about late at night when it was just the two of them, he felt that way too.
"Oh shit" Dustin said and looked at his clock. "Shit. Shit. Shit! I'm late!". He quickly got up and ran up the stairs.
"For what?" Mike screamed after him.
"Steve!" Dustin should back.
"So you're just gonna leave me and let me be the third wheel?!"
"Sorry, dude!"
"There goes another one" Lucas said.
"Yeah. It's probably best if you leave too" Mike said.
"Ouch, thanks" Max said.
"It's not you. Well, it is you. Stop being in love, my heart hurts" Mike said as a joke but at the same time not.
"Okay we'll leave" Lucas said and all of them got up.
"See you in school tomorrow!" Mike shouted from downstairs.
"See ya!" Lucas shouted back.
"Goodbye kids!" Karen said from the kitchen.
"Bye" Max said.
Max and Lucas quickly got out and started walking in a direction that led to none of their houses.
Things had been different at Max's house since Billy died and it was not something Max looked forward to coming home to. And Lucas knew that. Therefore he spent as much time, as late as he could, with her so she didn't have to go home to a mess.
"Look" Max said and pointed to a star.
"Yeah, a star. Wow" Lucas said.
"No, there. It's moving" Max said. "Make a wish"
"Do you seriously believe in that?" Lucas asked and looked at her.
"Hey!" she said and jokingly hit his shoulder. "When you're in my situation you make wishes as soon as you get the chance."
"What did you wish for then?" Lucas asked.
"I can't tell you. That ruins everything" Max said.
They decided to stop in a park and sat down on two swings.
"Do you believe in God?" Lucas asked from nowhere.
"No." Max said quickly.
"Why not?" Lucas asked.
"If really existed, why would he make everything so shitty?" Max asked but it wasn't really a question.
"Okay, I get you." Lucas said. "But don't you think there's a reason to why it is like it is? Maybe he wants us to learn something from it?"
"Have you become christian, Lucas?" Max asked and looked at him.
"Not really. But I mean, there has to be something more. This can't be it" he said.
"The world is crappy and dumb and stupid." Max said.
She moved from her swing to lay down in the grass and Lucas quickly joined her.
"Everyone just goes through life, just trying to survive. And sometimes it doesn't go as planned and your stepbrother dies because of an interdimensional monster and there's nothing we can do about it." Max said.
Lucas grabbed her hand and tightly squeezed it in his own.
"Don't you find it kind of scary?" Max said.
"What?" Lucas asked.
"That no matter how far you go or how long you wait you'll always see the same objects above you" Max said.
"Well, the stars die after awhile" Lucas said.
"You know what I mean" Max said. "Everything is always going to be the same. In the future when every kid will have their own telephone, no one'll watch tv anymore and arcades are better at home, the sky will still look the same."
"That won't happen. How do you bring an arcade home?" Lucas asked.
"Can you just try to be poetic with me?" Max asked.
"Yes, sorry" Lucas said. "Well, in the future, when we're old and gray and still wondering how kids have arcades at home, we can look back at this moment and remember that the sky still looks the same. And it'll feel quite suiting".
"Suiting?"
"Yeah. No matter how much changes or how much we change, we'll always have the sky to look back on to remind us that this is it." Lucas said.
"I wish there would be more" Max said.
"Who knows what sort of technology they come up with in the future. Maybe we'll be able to travel in time or go to mars or clone ourselves. There will be more, Max. But for now, this is enough. Don't you think?"
"Yeah. It's enough." Max said.
"Also, in the future, when you sit at home with your husband and your kids and you look up at the stars, please remember this moment." Lucas said.
"Why?" Max laughed.
"Because it was the first time I said I love you" Lucas said.
His cheeks turned red and he couldn't even look at her.
Max froze for a second. She was not expecting to hear that from Lucas, not now, not ever. But she squeezed his hand again before responding.
"I'll remember this moment as the first time I said I love you too" Max said and they smiled at each other.

—————————
Hi, I'm back. After a year or so. I work on my other fanfic a lot more so if you want to read something where you don't have to wait literal months for something new, read that one. It's called Every Breath You Take but you can find it if you just click on my account. It does have a lot about mental health but there's a warning before every chapter about what will be in it. Okay, that was all. Hope you enjoyed the chapter and please give me some ideas if you have some. However, I will not write smut so don't even question it.