Ch. 13 Curses and Dragons

"Shut up, shut up! Enough about that stupid, stupid boy! You're acting like a child!" Hermione snapped at Draco. He had been complaining about Harry Potter once more, whining about how unfair it was that he was able to put his name in the Goblet, let alone chosen as a champion.

Draco crosses his arms and huffed. "It's not fair."

"Your ignorance and childishness will get you killed one of these days, Malfoy. It's quite obvious Potter didn't put his name in the Goblet of Fire. He's not nearly skilled enough in magic to fool Albus Dumbledore. Someone put his name in the Goblet, someone especially good at magic, good enough to trick the Goblet into thinking a fourth school was involved in the tournament, and they obviously put Potter's name in under that school. I'm willing to bet it's someone who wants to see him die in this tournament too. Potter's entirely inexperienced compared to the other three champions; he probably won't stand a chance alongside them."

This seemed to cheer Draco up significantly. "You mean Potter won't survive?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "As if Dumbledore would let him die."

The blonde pouted, but said nothing.

"C'mon, it's time for class," Hermione muttered, grabbing her things and leaving for Defense Against the Dark Arts without checking to see if Draco was following her.

In this particular lesson, Professor Moody decided it wise to begin work on curses: specifically, the Unforgivables.

"Who here could name any of the Unforgivable Curses?" Moody inquired.

The whole classroom shifted uncomfortably. Many, if not all of the Slytherin students had vague experience with the Unforgivable Curses, as many where the children of Death Eaters, though few had been proven as such.

It was Theo that hesitantly spoke first. "The Imperius Curse."

Moody nodded. "Ah yes. The curse that allows one to control another. Many of the Dark Lord's followers got out of incarceration by claiming Imperius." At this, he pulled a large tarantula out of his desk. "IMPERIO," he yelled, pointing his wand at the spider. Immediately, he flung it around the room. Daphne Greengrass shrieked when it landed on her desk and began crawling toward her. She stood abruptly and took a step back from her desk. The spider leapt back to Moody's desk.

"Who can name another?"

This time it was Draco who drew in a shaky breath and replied. "The Cruciatus."

"The torture curse. Causes immense pain to the victim. CRUCIO," Moody said, his wand once again pointed at the spider.

The spider twisted and shrieked obviously in pain. The Slytherin students grimaced and flinched away, but said nothing. Moody ended the curse shortly thereafter.

"And the final curse?" He asked.

"Avada Kedavra. The killing curse," Hermione answered, leaning back in her seat, anticipating what would come.

Moody nodded. "AVADA KEDAVRA," he shouted. Immediately, the spider perished, curling in on itself before all motion ceased.

The students in the classroom flinched, none having ever truly witnessed the killing curse performed before now.

"Now, it is in my opinion that you should be prepared to defend yourself against curses such as these, though, of course, the killing curse should be exempted as it cannot be defended from. You must remain CONSTANTLY VIGILANT. Dark wizards could be anywhere. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" The Professor was yelling by this time. But he took a breath and calmed down. "Today I will subject you to the Imperius Curse, and you will attempt to withstand the effects."