Chapter 11: The Struggle

Beep. Beep. Beep. Lexa woke to the sounds of a machine beeping in the background as her blurry vision tried to work out where the hell she was. As her vision became more clear Lexa realized that she must be in the medical bay of the Arc judging by all the wires that had her hooked up to various different machines. In addition she was laying on one of the Sky people's cot beds, which wad a pain in itself. It was entirely uncomfortable causing the brunette to miss her large comfy bed that was adorned with lovely warm furs.

It Lexa a few more minutes for her memory of the events that had transpired to come back to her. She remembered the battle with the Ice Nation and most of all she remembered killing the Ice Queen while finally getting her revenge for Costia. Her body ached all over from her battle wounds in particular her stab wound to her chest. "Clarke," thought Lexa. She had know idea what had happened to the blonde after the battle. Her heart longed for her.

Lexa looked around the metal box and immediately began to feel trapped. She craved the outdoors where there was so much air and space. In her longing the brunette frantically began to stand up only to find that the large number of wires she was attached to prevented her from doing so. In her desperation Lexa quickly started to pull out the wires from her veins ignoring the pain that came with each pull. Finally the last wire was out and Lexa felt a sense of relief wash over her.

However, that feeling of relief was quickly replaced with dizziness as the room began to spin. Lexa suddenly felt extremely weak and she could feel her knees begging to buckle. She was feeling very faint indeed. The brunette looked down and saw a pool of blood beginning to form on the medical gown that she was wearing. It was then that Lexa noticed Clarke fast asleep in a chair by her bed. "Oh dear!" muttered Lexa to herself before passing out. The last thing she saw was Clarke who looked deep in thought then everything went black.

Clarke was jolted out of her restless sleep from hearing the distressed voice of the woman that she loved. She immediately noticed Lexa lying on the floor wire free. What startled Clarke the most was the alarming amount of blood covering the brunette's chest area. The blonde knew that meant that Lexa had burst her stitches trying to get out of bed. "Dammit Lexa! I did not save you just to loose you again," cursed Clarke.

In a matter of minutes Clarke had radioed Abby who along with Jackson arrived almost instantly. Abby then started barking instructions and soon enough Lexa was on an operating table ready to be worked on. "Clarke you need to hold her down, because there is not enough time to administer the anaesthetics." Clarke nodded to ensure her Mother knew she understood then took her position behind Lexa's head and took hold of the brunette's arms. Jackson did the same with the legs. "Jackson suction please?" asked Abby who then began the task of stopping the bleed.

After a couple of hours and a few close calls Abby had managed to stop the bleeding. Abby turned to Clarke and Jackson saying, "Okay I'm going to stitch her up now. This is where you both need to hold her still." Abby began to stitch causing the brunette to open her eyes and howl in pain. "Lexa, baby it's okay. I'm right here with you. You're doing so well," spoke Clarke softly with tears in her eyes at seeing the woman she loves in so much pain. Lexa visibly relaxed at hearing Clarke's name. "Clarke?" asked Lexa with a shaky voice. "Yes, baby I'm right here," replied Clarke in a soothing voice. "I love you Clarke." "I love you too Lexa."

Abby's heart warmed at seeing the exchange between her daughter and the grounder's leader that Clarke loved and realized for the first time how big the bond between the women was. With that Abby stitched the last stitch announcing this by saying, "All done. We'll leave you both to it." Clarke nodded appreciatively and without another word Abby and Jackson left leaving the two girls alone.

"How long have I been out of it?" asked Lexa quietly as she gazed into the blue eyes she had come to know so well. "You've been in and out of consciousness for the past two weeks," replied Clarke sadly. "Two weeks!" exclaimed Lexa. "Yeah babe I mean it's not surprising. You've been through a lot. My Mom spent hours stopping the bleeding and you crashed twice. I was so close to loosing you," said Clarke as the tears she had been holding in began to fall.