Prologue

The two six-year old boys ran through the woods, their laughter echoing through the trees scattering any and all wildlife in with a mile of them.

"Come on, Gabe!" Sam shouted over his shoulder, "the princess will save herself at this rate!"

The other boy giggled and sped up, passing his slightly younger friend. The two were "saving" princess Charlie from the evil clutches of the elder forest. They had only known each other for a few days, but they were already the fastest of friends. There was nothing in the world that could rip them apart.

"Sammy, this way!" Gabriel veered tours a darker, more over grown, part of the forest.

The younger almost slowed to a stop. That part of the forest was off limits to him and his two brothers, but what could possibly be so bad about it? He speed up to catch his friend. He was almost upon him when two shadows jumped out in front of his friend.

"Aaarggg! We got you now!" The shadows scoped up a screaming Gabriel.

"Let him go!" Sam yelled and ran at the shadow that held his new best friend. He punched and kicked at it until he heard the booming laughter coming from it. Oh. It was just Dean.

"Dean!" Sam whined and hit his brother one last time.

"Hey, Sammy."

"Jerk. Let Gabey go."

"Gabey?" The other shadow spoke. It was Lucifer, Dean's person guard and best friend.

Dean let Gabriel go, the kid didn't stopped kicking him until he was back on solid ground. He ran over to Sam and latched onto his side.

"Your brother is mean!"

"I know. Let's go find Charlie, she's cool."

The two boys bounded away from the mean older boys and the dark part of the forest. It took them another solid hour before they found Charlie. She was up in a tree, the branches had been shaking violently, which was exactly what gave her away.

"Charlie!" Sam yelled at the flaming redhead.

"Hey, Sam!"

"Whach'a doing?" Sam asked.

"Jo," Charlie replied. A high pitched laugh could be heard from higher up in the tree.

Sam tilted his head in confusion, "what do you mean you're doing Jo?" Jo was Sam's cousin and Charlie's good friend.

"You don't wanna know, Sammy, you don't wanna know," Gabe told his partner in crime.

"Okay..." Sam was confused, "Well know that we found her what do we do? She obviously doesn't need saving from Jo."

"We should head back the Castle, I heard Cassie say he was going to make his honey comb cookies and I wouldn't want to miss out on those," Gabriel suggested.

"Okay," Sam nodded, "race ya!"

He took off, Gabriel hot on his tail. They had ran for a while and could see the towers of the castiel when Gabriel cried out in pain. Sam slid to a stop to check on his friend over his shoulder. Gabriel had fallen to the ground and was slowing sitting up in obvious pain. Sam ran back to his older companion.

"Gabe! Gabey, are you okay?" Sam asked frantically.

Gabriel didn't answer, instead tears rolled down his face.

"Gabriel!" It physically hurt Sam to see his best friend cry. "Someone! Someone help!" The boy yelled at the top of his lungs, refusing to leave Gabe's side for help.

Pounding footsteps were heard and Sam saw his older brother come into view, Lucifer not far behind. Dean ran to get help from the castiel and Lucifer picked up Gabriel like he weighed no more than a baby chick. Sam trailed after the guard, thoughts of worry flowing through his head.

Later it would turn out to be nothing more that just a small twisted ankle, but in the moment Sam was terrified. That night as he lie awake Sam vowed to himself that he would never let anything or anyone hurt his friend. He would not stand to see him cry again. And so it was, Sam would protect his friend with his life, not letting Gabriel cry for years.

That was until they turned seventeen; both of them were told by their parents they must marry someone before their next birthday, Gabriel was not able to hold in the tears after that. Thank goodness he'd be visiting Sam in a few short weeks. They could discus this than. For now he would have to wait.