Chapter 1

Scott and I are sitting on the hood of Stiles' Jeep at Lookout Point, watching the sky

Scott and I are sitting on the hood of Stiles' Jeep at Lookout Point, watching the sky. While Stiles has a map spread out on the hood of the Jeep next to us marking potential places for them to live for freshman year of college. I'm planning to go to Stanford with Lydia.

"All right, so I found some cool two bedrooms in the Mission District, but they're pretty expensive. A couple in Haight and Ashbury, also expensive..." Stiles says directed towards Scott.

"What about Berkeley? Don't a lot of students live around there?" Scott replies.

"Yeah, yeah, we could try Knob Hill. But, the Jeep would probably burn through a lot of clutches."

"You're bringing the Jeep?"

"You know the plan, okay? No one gets left behind. That's the plan. Lydia and Serephina are not gonna have a problem getting into Stanford. Kira and Lila are thinking USF.  Malia's, uh, gonna, you know, she'll figure something out, okay. The plan's perfect."

"Or we could also wait until we actually get into college and then figure out where to live."

"I have a vision, dude. Okay? And it is a beautiful vision. Don't ruin the vision."

"I like the vision Stiles" Serephina cuts in. "I think it's great you want everyone to stick together."

"Thank you Serephina at least someone appreciates the vision. Okay, we can check out the East Bay. Haven't looked at Oakland yet, you know. You all right? You starting to feel it?" Stiles says noticing Scott just staring at the moon not paying attention.

"No. Just thinking." Scott replies.

"About what?"

"Senior year."

"Senior year, come on, that's, that's... That's nothing. That's going to be easy." Stiles says stuttering a little bit.

"It's more like something Deaton told me once. You guys ever hear of "regression to the mean?"

"No, I don't think so." Stiles says at the same time Serephina says "it's a way of saying that life can't ever be all bad or all good. eventually things have to come back to the middle."

"So, think about the last few months. Things have been good, right? But not amazing."

"Yeah, but no one's tried to kill us in six months either." Stiles replies.

"Right. We've been pretty much in the middle for a while... Which means, at some point, the scale has to tip one way or the other. Things are gonna get really good again..."

"Or really bad." Serephina cuts in.

A storm gathers overhead, and lightning arcs through the sky.

"Think it's been long enough?" Stiles asks us referring to Liam still chained to the tree behind us.

"Yes!" Liam shouts back mad that he's been chained to the tree for a few hours already.