Chapter 12 (Edited)

I tensed as I felt someone following me. Being the girl that I was, I took off, placing some more distance between me and the person.

No, I wasn't running away from them. I just wanted to put some distance between whoever and me, so that I could see who it was.

All right, don't believe me, but it's the truth.

Anyways, I ran around a tree a couple of times before shifting into human form. I jumped into the tree that I had circled around and waited for whoever it was that followed me.

My eyes widened in shock, because as I saw that was Rufus who had followed me. What the hell? I thought. Why is he here and why did he follow me?

Rufus shifted into human form and looked around. "I know you are here," he said. "Stop hiding from me. We do not have much time."

I snorted and jumped down from the tree that I was in. "And why are you here?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"To talk to you and... your father," Rufus said, moving his hand through his hair, sheepishly. He looked at me, a grimace on his face.

I heard a growl in my ear and hid a flinch of surprise. 'Bring him to the cave. I want to see this bastard. You will be with me, and you will not ask questions. Do you understand?'

I grunted to tell him that I had heard and understood. I turned left and walked in the direction of the cave that my father and I had found, when I was four years old.

Rufus followed me, silently. I could tell that he was studying me, making me feel slightly uncomfortable.

***

"Father?" I asked, walking into the cave. I glanced around and sniffed, knowing that he was in here, but I didn't know where. "Where are you?"

There was some shuffling and a kerosene lamp was lit.

"Come here, Ember," he said, something in his voice that I had never heard before. His voice was very hard and cold, and he had placed a bit of his power in it.

"Yes, Alpha," I said, walking over to his side. I turned around and watched Rufus, knowing that my father was doing that also.

My father scowled at the other male and folded his arms across his chest. "What the hell are you doing here?" he asked, his voice hard.

Rufus moved a hand through his hair and didn't answer, making my father scowl some more. He rubbed the back of his neck, looking at my father, sheepishly.

"Better answer quick, before I kill you."

Rufus just smirked and nodded his head in hello. He stayed indifferent, as if he didn't care that he was going to get killed or not. "Hello, Brother," he said. "How are you?"