1- Today's Lunch

date written:
~July 13th, 2019~

She chewed on her pen and rapidly bounced her right leg as she watched the clock.

She watched time slip away as she simply sat down at a desk and did nothing for almost an hour.

The teachers voice had been drowned out long ago as the clock's ticking became louder in her head with each passing minute.

Her heart began to beat faster, her breath began to slip away, the nerves in her stomach grew.

The final minutes of class felt more like hours as her anxiety rose.

5 minutes.

The class slowly began packing their bags, being careful not to disrupt the lesson.

2 minutes.

1 minute.

The bell rang as 20 student jumped from their seats and sped towards the door.

"Marzia, a word?"

Marzia turned away from the door and walked towards the teacher's desk.

"Yes ma'am?"

She slowly rubbed the back of her neck as the nerves once again rose in her stomach.

"I couldn't help but notice you were daydreaming throughout the entire lesson today."

She brought her hands together and fiddled with her thumbs.

"I was focused on the clock ma'am, I apologize."

"Anxious to get out of my class are we?"

"Anxious all right." She responded inaudibly.

"It won't happen again, ma'am."

"I hope not, run along then."

Marzia realized she'd been holding her breath and breathed out and in again slowly as she exited the classroom.

As soon as she knew it she was sitting with her friends outside at their lunch table.

Her nerves calmed and she ate and laughed with them.

"Pj try it again!" She laughed as Pj balanced a grape on his nose and unsuccessfully caught it in his mouth.

"Brilliant!" She said sarcastically.

"Hey! No mocking!" He smiled.

A familiar face sat down at the table and was welcome with hellos and handshakes.

Marzia smiled and waved.

"Hey Felix."

He smiled.

"'Sup?"

"Your friend is making a fool of himself." She laughed.

"What else is new?"

As soon as it began the half hour of lunch was over.

Goodbyes were said as the gang went their separate ways to lockers.

Marzia grabbed her bag and went off to class.

She sat down next to Felix.

Soon the class began.

Felix leaned over to Marzia.

"God, this class just started and I'm already thinking about jumping out of the window."

She turned to face him.

"Tell me about it. We waste 7 hours of our lives her learning about things we'll never need instead of actually doing something productive."

"Right? We're not getting any younger. Isn't that terrifying to think about?"

"Stop I'm anxious enough as it is." She laughed awkwardly.

Their conversation was cut short as the teacher closed the door.

He smiled half heartedly.

"Open your textbooks to page 104."

Marzia rolled her eyes as she faced towards the front once again.

Soon the class ended and it was time for the final lesson of the day, biology.

Marzia and Felix, both sharing the class, made their way together to the lab.

"Last class on the day." Said Felix as they walked through the crowded halls.

"Thank the universe, I'm dying here."

Felix chuckled, "Yeah, I feel you. Lucky for us we get to dissect rats today."

"Oh boy, can't wait." Marzia replied sarcastically.

After a few minutes the pair finally made their way into the science lab.

They sat at a lab table alongside their friends Pj and Sophie.

"Took you long enough." Pj said as they took their seats.

"Not all of us have incredibly long spaghetti legs." Marzia retorted resulting in a chuckle from the Felix and Sophie.

Pj rolled his eyes as the final bell for class rang.

The teacher entered the classroom.

She silently passed out the directions and equipment to each table.

"Christ, you'd think we'd at least get a greeting." Felix whispered.

"Between you and me, I don't think she's capable of showing any emotion or affection to other human beings." Marzia replied.

"I don't even think she's human." Pj joined in, "Look at those eyes, she's a cold blooded reptile, I'm calling it."

As the teacher approached their tables she shushed Pj.

He looked around at his friends as she walked away.

"See? She hissed at me."

Marzia rolled her eyes and chuckled as she put on her dissecting-wear.

Felix took notice as she struggled to tie her apron.

"Need help?" He asked.

"Yeah, if you could just..." she turned around and motioned towards the undone ties.

As Felix reached for them his fingers lightly frisked Marzia's exposed back.

The feeling sent tingles up her spine and she inhaled sharply.

As Felix finished tying she breathed out and faced him again.

"Grazie."

Felix simply smiled at her as the preserved specimen was sat on the table.

"Looks like today's lunch." Pj said.

"Welp, you ready?" Felix asked Marzia as he grabbed the bag.

"Ready as I'll ever be to cut open what was once a living organism."

Felix smirked at her then shook his head as he opened the bag.

The smell immediately consumed the groups nostrils.

"Oh God, it smells like today's lunch too." Pj exclaimed.

The albino rat's once white skin was now a pale yellow from the formaldehyde it sat in.

The sight and smell made Felix gag.

"Are you okay?" Sophie asked.

He shook his head.

"Come on, I'll take you outside for some air." Marzia gave him a hand as they took off their dissecting-wear and they made their way towards the teachers desk.

She took one look at a pale, queezy Felix and shooed them off to the door.

After making it to the hallways Felix suddenly jumped up and walked down the hall like nothing had happened.

He looked back at a confused Marzia.

"You coming or what?"

She looked at the lab then back to Felix.

"Yeah, I'm coming."