Parting Barley

*4 years prior*

I am shuffling through the barn doors carrying a bundle of today's harvest in my arms, sickle on my back sheathed.

"Did we seriously need 500 cloves of barley this season to send to the 12th battalion in Fort Knord?" I hollar to my fellow, Benchley.

"Yeah, apparently they had a shortage of beer and bread on the field and have been collecting tax and food from the farms in Port Vance."

"Seems fair. Fighting for our country zone and we have to find a way to help. I only hope they don't just come into our homes bursting in to take what they need and desire with high demand."

I should watch my tongue.

Not even three minutes after I stated such claims, four soldiers kicked open our home door. Each branded with the King's Holy Order. Drat Nabbit.

"We need any and all supplies you can carry and feed for th horses in the trough! Order of the King's Battalion Twelveth Battalion! Men, go rest your legs." As he sat on our wagon bench getting comfortable.

We comply, considering this batch WAS for them afterall. I take a look around the room as I quickly move the crops onto the cart and Benchley reigned the horses onto the wagon.

We were in a fairly large barn that my uncle's plantation owned. Though, I wasn't a farmer, I was a delivery boy, but my uncle referred to me as the Informant of Goods!

... Or something like that.

The barn was a rusted color of red and black, while the interior was of a faint yellow color. Typical barn colors, except for the bright blue doorset to the barn. It was quite large, for obvious reasons I think. And it slid to the side to provide fair entrance. It had white bands over the front and back of the doors in an X shaped pattern.

The interior wasn't badly kept, unlike the exterior of the barn, it had good as new equipment, bridles, sadles, and rakes & such on the walls and racks of the boards. With a few piles of hay in the small stable rooms for the horses and cattle. On the far side of the room, was an old blue workshop desk with a purple trim. Nothing fancy other than color about it though... Both the barn and workshop desk.

As I finished packing the cart, I noticed on of the soldiers fiddling with my pocketbook and bag hanging from the rack on the right wall by the entrance and seating area. I walked over and tapped the soldier on his helmet to gain his attention.

"Could you please leave my book alone? It's my father's and I'd rather not let it get ruined." I expected a rude response to be honeat as the other three seemed to be kicking their feet up and teasing Benchley and I, as we worked. But, He simply nodded and smiled a genuine smile before moving over to the wagon and stepping into the passenger bench side.

The others moved into the back of the wagon chuckiling as they went. They tossed me a bag of coin, "This is your first payment. Keep it up and we might win a war." The three of them as laughed as the driver rolled his eyes with a frown.

They left the barn, leaving me and benchley in a dust, and a mess to clean up.

Oh, what a joy.