Chapter 1

NF - Leave Me Alone

Sadie

No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't figure out how to twist the red streamers without them folding in half.

"Struggling?" My friend Tasha teased. I glared at her and climbed down the ladder knowing she wanted to take over. Which I had no problem with.

"We're almost done," she assured me as she finished the streamers.

"Then I'm upstairs." I declared, leaning against the counter, glancing at the food set out which frankly looked quite revolting.She climbed down the ladder. "Ah. Drums your new obsession?"

I shrugged. "I like it and I can only play the actual set here at the church since they cost so much."

She grinned. "Are you good?"

"Not really. It's just something I took up so I can take my mind off things, plus it's a good exercise for my arms. I do really like my teacher too."

"You like him?" she wiggled her eyebrows. I blushed.

"No. I like his talent. He's potentially the best I've ever seen but this pupil sure sucks." I gestured to myself.

"You're probably way better than I am. Seriously some of those drummers are amazing. Besides I'm sure you'll be just as amazing as him someday." she assured me. I rolled my eyes.

"K. I'm going upstairs." I said, bolting towards the stairwell like a crazy person.

Time skip sponsored by Jack O'Neill.

The clash of my stick on the brass top hat wasn't a sharp sound, it was a crash that rung, vibrating off the two cymbals which were supposed to be clamped shut using the pedal beneath my left foot.

"Need some help?" A familiar cheerful, accented voice slightly echoed throughout the sanctuary.

The noise caused me to nearly jump out of my skin. I did manage to fly backwards of my padded stool.

"What in the world are you doing here?" I squeaked at Luke, sitting up and spilling in-ears, drumstick and bolts all over myself, it was really a mess back there.

"We're here for a particular someone's wedding." He grinned. I couldn't help but think scaring me half to death was something Joel was more likely to do.

"Fantastic entrance." I quipped, crawling out of the corner the drum set occupied. "Who came with you?"

"Joel and Moriah and Courtney and the kids." He replied, holding out a hand to help me off the stage.

I took it awkwardly, trying to keep my sleeves from shifting to reveal sliced skin. He didn't seem to notice as I jumped down and immediately let go.

"Does anyone else know about this?" I asked as we walked through the sanctuary to the staircase.

"Melissa and Derick knew, they just didn't know when." He replied.

"They knew? No fair!" I exclaimed as we trotted down the stairs.

"Melissa wanted it to be a surprise for you." He said simply.

"This is her wedding. Not my birthday." I said, heavy with sarcasm.

"Well, her rules, I guess." He shrugged. Walking down to the fellowship hall I was almost immediately enveloped in a hug from Joel.

"Hey, good to see you, dear." He greeted," those drums sounded great!"

"I was told you couldn't hear them from down here." I said flatly. But I was still smiling up at him.

"We heard them coming in. When did you start?" Joel asked.

"A few months ago. I wanted to do something besides school."

"I hear school is done. Do somethin' fun!" Tasha shouted across the room. I shot her a glare.

"Did you meet Tasha? I asked throwing a thumb in her direction. "She's a friend of ours."

Joel nodded. "She seems like a lovely girl."

My answer was cut off by a cry from Melissa coming down the stairs.

"Joel! Luke! Hey!" She hugged Joel and then Luke.

"Someone feels a little left out." Luke said quietly to Melissa.

"I can hear you." I muttered.

"Oh, she just doesn't like surprises. Totally no fun, she'll get over it when the shower starts." She replied, grinning.

"Not that I don't want you here but... what are you doing at this side of the whole..." I gestured around with my arms. "deal?"

"We were thinking Courtney and Moriah could come here while we take the boys to the bachelor's party." Luke answered.

"Where are they?" Melissa asked, setting down last minute things and her purse on a chair.

"Checking into the hotel. They dropped us off here to say hi." Joel checked his watch. "They should be here any minute."

"How about tonight we meet to go out for supper?" Melissa suggested.

"That would be great!" Joel answered readily.

"Great. I'll tell Derick to keep his night open and see you then." Melissa said, hugged them both again and melted into the small crowd. Leaving me all alone desperately wanting to ascend above the sanctuary where I could doing nothing but be alone.

At the perfect timing, Moriah and Courtney came in and swapped places with Joel and Luke. I became the crowd and slowly slinked to the kitchen where it was slightly quiet and I was alone.

Sorry this is months late. I'm actually busier in the summer and haven't had any inspiration. I just started school so ironically with have more time to update! Until next time!