[1] A Demon in an Angel's Body

"Sit."

Crowley was practically pushed into a cold, hard metal chair, his wrists tied to its arms with ropes that were painfully tight. To say that he was pissed would be an understatement. This was how Aziraphale was treated in Heaven? This was what he had to deal with? Crowley had thought that, as Azi spoke so highly of Heaven and his superiors, perhaps things had changed since that war. But no, apparently it was all just as horrible as when he was up here last.

He looked around the big, cold, empty room, with the 'no secrets here' facade that he had always hated before his Fall. If anything, he felt it was even worse now than it had been before. There was a judging air about the place that was almost oppressive, making him feel more vulnerable than he had done anywhere else, even Hell itself.

He found himself thinking of Azi's bookshop — how warm and cosy it was, with its shelves stuffed full of books, and its plush furniture. He thought back to the times Aziraphale had been wrapped up in a blanket, a book in his hands and a mug of cocoa by his side. It was comfortable. Enclosed. Filled with objects that meant a great deal to Azi. And now, Crowley realised exactly why.

Staring straight ahead, he moved his wrists around a little, trying to stop the ropes digging in so painfully. If anything, however, it just seemed to make them even tighter. He thought of Azi — good, true, kind Azi — being treated like this, and his anger increased tenfold. He knew for a fact that Azi would've thought he deserved it — that he was in the wrong, and his superiors were in the right.

"Ah. Aziraphale." Gabriel's voice came from behind him, and Crowley's mood darkened even more as Gabriel grabbed his shoulder, in what he supposed was meant to be a 'looks friendly but is actually not' sort of way. "So glad you could join us."

Crowley gave a slight smile, trying to hide his anger, and said, "You could have just sent a message. I mean, a kidnapping, in broad daylight."

Gabriel held his arms out in an odd sort of shrug. "Call it what it was: an extraordinary rendition."

Crowley gave slight twitch of his lip, the closest thing he could get to another smile without showing his true feelings, keeping his eyes fixed on Gabriel.

"Now, have we heard from our new associate?"

"He's on his way," Uriel answered.

Gabriel smiled condescendingly at Crowley-as-Aziraphale, holding his fits in the air in a kind of celebratory pose. "He's on his way."

Oh right, 'cause I definitely didn't hear that the first time.

Crowley just raised his eyebrows in response, not deigning to give a proper answer.

"I think you're gonna like this," Gabriel continued, walking towards him. "I really do." He leant towards Crowley, smiling his stupid, patronising smile again. "And I bet you didn't see this one coming."

If you don't shut up soon, I won't be held responsible for my actions, you fucking bastard.

"You don't get this view down in the basement."

Crowley barely managed to conceal just how shocked he was at the familiar voice that came from behind him.

That's one of those demons with the stupid hair horns. Why's he here?

Just seconds later, his silent question was answered as the demon threw some flames from his hand, forming what looked like a tornado in the small circle of white stones laid out on the floor.

The column of hellfire roared, drawing Crowley deep into the memories he had been trying so hard to forget. For just a moment, he was back at the bookshop when it had happened, running into the flames and screaming for Aziraphale. For just a moment, he was losing his best friend all over again. For just a moment, he felt the hopelessness — the worthlessness — rise up from within. And then he was back in Heaven, tied to a chair as the other demon left, with three pissed off angels watching him.