One

"Willow!"

Willow spins on her heels to find her childhood best friend, Clare Tomkins barrelling towards her.

"Slow down Clare." Willow can't help but laugh at the tall lanky brunette running down the street. Clare stops just in the knick of time only to wrap her arms around Willow, effectively tackling her.

"I just heard! I'm so sorry!" Clare pulls away from Willow who shrugs noncommittal.

"It is what it is." Willow says softly.

"But first your mum and now-"

"Clare." Willow cuts her friend off like she has every day for the last two weeks every time her mother was brought into conversation.

"Willow, you need to talk about it. It is not healthy bottling all your emotions up. They are bound to explode out of you. After all, the accident-"

"Is something I don't want to talk about." Willow says through gritted teeth with her fists clenched.

"Fine." Clare holds her hands up in surrender. "But were you going to tell me you were leaving? Why did I have to hear about it from my brother?"

"I saw Charlie this morning at the market. I had just received the letter and we...talked."

Willow had known Clare and Charlie since she started kindergarten and the two rambunctious twins ran over to her offering to share their blocks. Over the years the girls had stuck together and Charlie, who had only become more attractive as the years went on joined the 'popular' crowd.

"Not you too." Clare rolls her eyes. "I swear every girl in San Francisco is taken by his charms do you not remember in third grade when he threw up all over your favourite teddy?"

Willow cringes at the memory.

"To this day I still can't look at peanut butter and jelly the same way."

"So when do you leave?"

"Tomorrow." Willow says looking down at her feet.

"So soon?"

"Apparently it is quite a trip and they want me there to start school. I don't have much of a choice. They are the only family I have left."

"You don't even know them."

"I have to respect my mother's wishes. She listed them as my guardians."

"Maybe I could talk to my parents. You basically live at our place anyway."

"I'm going to miss you." Willow interrupts her best friend's babble by pulling her in for a hug.

"But maybe we could-"

"Clare shut up and hug me." Willow laughs. "Let's just have fun today and you can even help me pack."

"But-"

"Clare."

"Fine." Clare whines with an eye roll.

...

There is a knock at the door early on Wednesday morning and Willow groans as she pulls herself from her comfortable bed. She laughs as she sees Clare steal Willow's abandoned blankets and steps over an unconscious Charlie who is sleeping on the floor. The knocking continues and Willow sighs as she opens the door wearing nothing more than a midriff baring t-shirt and panties.