02 - arrival

“Michelle,” MJ’s mom nods at her, glancing over her body, her clothes, in a disappointed manner. Peter is already terrified.

“Mom,” MJ nods back, their greetings incredibly cold. “This is Peter—my boyfriend.”

“Peter…?” her mom glances over at him, narrowing her eyes, now looking over him in a disapproving way.

“Peter Parker,” he smiles, stepping forward and reaching out to shake her hand. She looks down at it, looks up at him, and then reaches her hand out to shake it. He gulps. “Nice to finally meet you.”

“It’s...nice to meet you, too,” she replies, pulling her hand back and wiping it on her pant leg in disgust. Okay, Peter’s nervous, but his hands weren’t that clammy…were they? “It’s about time you found someone, right, Michelle? Let’s go—the car’s waiting.”

“And that’s just the beginning,” MJ whispers, turning to Peter as her mom walks in front of them. Peter’s eyes widen.

“So I noticed you weren’t carrying my daughters bags,” Miss Jones turns to Peter in the middle of the car ride, and MJ groans and rubs the bridge of her nose. “Is there a reason for that?”

“Leave him alone, mom,” MJ tells her, shaking her head.

“Excuse me, I believe I was asking your boyfriend—not you,” her mom replies, and MJ leans back against her seat, sighing. “So, Peter?”

“Um, well,” Peter looks at MJ, trying to figure out what he should say. But she’s just looking at him, waiting forhim to come up with something. “She won’t let me. She likes to do things herself, you know? Independence and all that.”

“Hmm,” her mom replies, turning to look out the window. Peter’s pretty sure there was no right answer to that, so he just takes in a long, nervous breath, and looks out the window at the beautiful view. They don’t talk for the rest of the twenty minute car ride.

“Here we are,” her mom sighs, as if she’s bored with everything all the time. “I’ll show you around, but I have a spa appointment in fifteen minutes, so let’s go.”

“Love the enthusiasm,” MJ replies, grabbing her bag from the trunk and following her.

There’s a row of about ten luxurious overwater bungalows on his right out in the water, all connected by one long dock. Beside it, a seemingly-endless beach lined with chairs, and on the right there’s a snack bar, anactual bar, a tennis court, and a line of palm trees behind it. And, as if it couldn’t get better, the sun is just beginning to set, making it even more beautiful.

Peter knows now that as bad as everything might get on this trip, it’ll all be worth it because of this view alone.

“We’re...staying here?” Peter asks, looking around at everything in awe. “Like, in an actual bungalow? On the water?”

“Yes. This section of the island is rented for the week,” her mom replies, gesturing vaguely around herself. “I’ll show you to your bungalow. I thought you two would want the farthest down for the view.”

MJ told him her family was rich, yeah, but he never knew how rich.

Peter looks over at MJ, wondering if she’s thinking the same thing: we’re sleeping in the same bungalow? But she doesn’t even glance over at him; she just follows her mom, bags in hand as she steps onto the dock.

“I’m definitely not missing New York weather at all right now,” MJ sighs, looking up into the sky and feeling the light breeze flow against her.