Chapter 23

Ashley

The memories of the night flooded my brain as I slept. Courtney and Jacob telling ghost stories, Noah and Eve recalling some of there favorite times. Ethan and Chrissy talked about random topics and ended up agreeing on a lot of things. I smiled peacefully before I felt someone shake me awake. I bolted up and Courtney stared at me in panic. "They took Eve!"

"What?!" I shook Noah that was asleep beside me.

He groaned and sat up slowly. "Hmm?"

"They've got Eve," I told him.

"Step away from the girl, Noah and no one gets hurt," Chris held a gun to Courtney's head while Drake had Eve on the ground at gun point. Eve's face was bruised and blood dripped from her face. They had her wrist in chains but that didn't stop her from giving up.

Chrissy woke at the shouting and gasped when she saw her cousin, "Court!" She tried to run towards her but I grabbed her body holding her back. "Let me go!"

"Why don't you just leave us alone already? Aren't you tired of chasing us like a dog?" I ranted, tired of this never ending game of chase. Annoyance consumed my body and I felt my hands grow warm. Fire swirled around my fist, my eyes narrowed on Chris.

"Two can play that game," he said and held his free hand up. Water formed around him, circling faster by the second.

"Then you leave me no choice but to kill you." I charged at him and Courtney ducked away. Chris smirked and I heard Noah scream.

"Ashley no!"

A blinding light flashed making us stop. The fire dimmed out and Chris's power slowed down. Closing my eyes I waited until it stop before opening them. The air was much cooler and the it was increasing darker. Looking around I spotted Courtney not too far away from me. She slowly walked towards me and I realized we were at again in a research building. For what I wasn't sure.

A clock ticked in the distance and it read 6:38 pm, underneath it read Thursday April 9th. I turned to Courtney and she had the same confused expression. Walking further down the hallway I came across a large window and before I new it I quickly crouched down. People stood on the other side of the wall arguing. I motioned for Courtney to do the same.

"We are shutting down the operation! They have been using us from the beginning," a guy at the end of the table yelled.

"No they aren't! If we shut down the operation then we will lose our chance of changing the world. They have the knowledge of technology that is way more advance then ours." Standing up slightly I catch Dr. Jonathan's face. He watches everyone before continuing, "It'll take millions of years just to catch up with them. Think of it. We'll have technology so advance we'll be ahead of our competitors."

Courtney grabbed my arm pulling me down, "Someone will spot you."

"Where are the others?" I asked, doing as she said.

Courtney furrowed her eyebrows and sassed, "Like I'd know."

"I was just asking, jeezs."

"Quiet!" Courtney shushed me as a man started out the room. He was walking towards as and I didn't have a moment to react. Instead the man walked right past me without a second glance. I looked around but didn't see Courtney but I still felt a hand on me.

"Courtney?" I whispered.

"I'm right here. Just be quiet." I watched as the man continued down the hall before cutting a corner. Courtney started to turn her normal self and she dropped her hand. "Before you say anything I know I shouldn't have hid it for so long but I wasn't sure what you all would have done to me if I did."

I smiled at her and said, "We wouldn't have done anything. I mean look at Noah and Eve. We didn't kill them or anything. Is that how you knew Eve was captured?"

"Yeah they ambushed us when we took a walk around the forest," she explained. "I disappeared before they could grab me."

"A walk?" I smirked.

She glared at me but continued help but smile at me. "We'd better get moving before someone catches us."