Unexpected Love - Chapter 16

“So – what have you been up to in the five years that you mysteriously disappeared for no apparent reason for?” Clarke is trying to, not so subtly, get information out of Shane.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat and take a drink of my beer.

Shane, Clarke, Lucy and I are all seated around a table in Hunger. It had been a week since Shane’s return and we are finally going out to the dinner Lucy had planned.

It’s great to see her actually making plans with friends again. It feels like high-school, almost.

It had been slightly awkward when we first arrived, as Lorraine is working tonight. I’d broken up with her the day after Shane and I had spent the night together, and she had taken it better than I'd expected, but still - awkwardness is mandatory with break-ups.

My mother, who is watching Gracie tonight, keeps sending me pictures through text of her in her Halloween costume that she will be wearing for Halloween, which is next week. Gracie is unlike other small girls her age; the majority of Gracie’s friends from playschool, which she attends two days a week, are all going as princesses.

But not Gracie. “Dad, Halloween is supposed to be scary! What’s scary about Elsa?” This is what she’d replied when I suggested she go as one of the princesses from Frozen.

So now, she is going as a zombie. Mom is making the costume and she’s been working on it all week. Tonight is the first trial-run. I can tell that the costume has been a success by Gracie’s wide smile in each picture.

Another photo sent by my Mom saves Shane from answering Clarke’s question for another few seconds. This time, Gracie is making her scariest face to the camera, yet unable to hide the smile that is escaping onto her lips.

“Look at this one,” I grin at Lucy, passing her my phone. She throws her head back and laughs, passing the phone to Clarke who coos and shakes his head in amusement.

Clarke is Gracie’s godfather. I had asked Lucy if my mother could be the godmother. I knew she’d wanted Rita to be the godmother, if given the choice, and there was no way that was happening. So she got to choose the godfather. I wasn’t surprised by her choice – Clarke and Lucy have become close in the past few years.

Shane passes my phone back to me once he is finished looking. Gracie manages to steal the attention of everyone once again, even when she isn’t here.

There’s a silence for a moment until Clarke remembers his question went unanswered.

“So – Shane. Answers. Why didn’t you stay in contact, bro?” Clarke isn’t annoyed, just confused. He had been out of town on business to do with the hotel all week, so tonight is the first time they’ve seen each other in five years.

It had been awkward at the beginning. They’d shaken hands, almost like strangers. That is, until Clarke shook his head and pulled Shane into a big bear hug. I could tell that Shane was trying hard to keep the tears of relief from his eyes.

Shane chuckles uncomfortably at Clarke's question. “I don’t know, man. I was eighteen and stupid. I thought that I could take over the world and that this place was just holding me back. It was easier to leave if I forgot about all of you.”

Clarke rolls his eyes. “You didn’t even say goodbye, man! It just makes no sense. You leave in the middle of your final year in school and I don’t hear from you until five years later!”

It’s obvious that Clarke isn’t going to let this drop. He had been annoyed and extremely pissed off when I told him that Shane was gone for good. But never did he get upset; not in front of me, anyway. He had been the one to lift me up all of the time. I guess he was more hurt over Shane’s sudden departure than I’d thought.