0. The Ending of the Beginning

"What the hell?!" I growl, shoving my attacker with as much force as I can muster; instead of moving he simply grabs my arms.

"Let go!" I try to wrench away from his vice-like grip. "Jeremy!" I finally yank my arms free and stumble, falling against the obnoxious Camero behind me.

"What's wrong with you?!" I'm furious, practically shaking with rage as I aggressively scrub my mouth with the back of my hand.

"Listen, Meghan," He drags his fingers through his blonde curls and my hands burn with the need to slap him.

"No," I snap, pushing myself off the bright yellow car just before stabbing my finger into his chest. "You just crossed a line. You know I'm with Isaiah."

Isaiah.

At the thought of my boyfriend, my eyes frantically dart around the almost empty parking lot. I'm half expecting to see him charging across the cracked pavement, ready to pummel the lacrosse player he already dislikes. "Isaiah is going to kill you." I spit when I look back at the not even six-foot jerk in front of me.

"Then don't tell him." Jeremy shrugs and this time I do slap him. "Ow!" He grabs his bicep. "Just listen to me for a second." He reaches out for me and I, again, jerk back, my backside hitting the car for the second time. "You guys aren't going to last." He says, approaching me so that he's only a foot away, effectively caging me in. His condescending tone sounds like nails on a chalkboard and I raise my chin defiantly.

"Excuse me?" My anger starts to get the best of me as I push off of his Camero, getting less than an inch from his face. "You don't know anything about us." I try not to let my shock show at hearing the venom in my own voice.
Jeremy starts to shift uncomfortably under my silent death glare but, unfortunately, he continues talking.

"What gonna happen when you're at Harvard? He can't follow you there." He casually shoves his hands into his navy chinos. "It's not like he could afford it."

Rage builds-up in my gut at his snide remark, walking away seems to be my only option as I know no excuse for killing him will hold up in court.

Making sure to check his shoulder as I walk past him, I head toward the school building, stopping only long enough to mutter a few words over my shoulder.

"I'm not going to Harvard."

"Wha- You- Your parents-" Footsteps follow me and suddenly Jeremy jumps in my pathway, causing me to stop. "You'd give up Harvard for him?" He practically spits the last word of his question.

"I never wanted to go." I simply shrug, somehow feeling relieved that I've finally admitted it to someone other than Isaiah or Mia. "Culinary school has always been my dream, it just took my awhile to find the guts to chase it."

Jeremy remains silent, squinting slightly as he studies me. My determination must be clear because after a few moments he lifts his hands in surrender, stepping back.

"They're gonna cut you off, you know that right?" He questions, softly, referring to my parents as I walk passed him.

"So be it." And with that, I continue to the school building.

Let's be clear, it's not that I hate my parents. They raised me, somewhat, and I will always love them. But they know nothing of actual life. Status, that's all life is to them. As two of the most respected lawyers in the state, their lives revolve around their work and their image.

Not going to their alma mater is going to be the ultimate betrayal, which, is why they don't know yet. When they do find out they'll probably blame Isaiah, or Isaac, as they call him. But, unfortunately, that's nothing new.