Part 8

Part 8

"I'm surprised you're willing to give it all up for Ruby."

Calum let out a breath, a billow of smoke curling out of his lips and flying out the window as the truck kept going. He sat, left elbow resting on the windowsill of the door, arm hung out as he tapped the residual ashes off his cigarette as he drove down an empty road leading to the factory. His jaw clenched for a moment, staring ahead at the deserted road that had the factory at the end of it, just a few minutes away from arriving. Calum's voice was gruff as he answered, "Believe it or not, she'd kill me if I gave everything up for her."

He could feel Michael looking at him as he observed with a frown, "We brought all of our shit—that's a pretty big gamble to bring it all and risk it getting taken."

Calum glanced at Michael as he took one last drag of his cigarette before tossing it outside, the cool wind blowing against his face. He settled with both hands on the wheel, leaning back against the seat before tilting his head to the left so he could thread his fingers through his hair. "We got a new shipment a few days ago. Brand new of everythin'. So even if we lose what's in the truck, we got better equipment waitin' for us." Calum looked at Michael once more, noticing the way his eyebrows were raised at that information. Tightening his jaw, Calum looked back out to the road, giving a single shake of his head. "But we're not losin' anythin'. We're leaving here with Ruby safe and all of our shit with us."

They were silent for a moment, only the dull rumble of the engine and the whistle of the wind tickling their ears as Calum drove. He tried to relax his jaw, the bruise he was sporting allowing for a throbbing pain every time he tightened it. But he'd been tense since the moment he found out Ruby had been taken; sleep hadn't come to him last night, of course. Everyone was on high alert, working overtime to find out where they were keeping Ruby. They had yet to find out that information, but he and Michael were wearing expertly hidden comms and as soon as their men found out Ruby's location, they would know. And everything would go according to plan.

"If it came down to it," Michael spoke up after a few moments of silence, voice holding just the smallest hints of curiosity as Calum could see him glance his way from his peripheral. "Would you give all of it up for Ruby?"

"Yes."

The answer had slipped past Calum's lips a lot quicker than either of them had expected, Calum's grip on the leather steering wheel tightening as he heard his own voice. His throat worked after taking a deep breath, keeping his slightly widened gaze on the road ahead. Calum moved his around his jaw, lips remaining pressed together as the wind blowing suddenly felt as though it was slapping against his face, heart pounding at the implication of his answer.

He didn't even have to think about it, already so sure of his answer without any regrets. It came to him as naturally as breathing did because what other answer could there possibly be? Never in a million years did Calum think he would be so willing to give up everything he worked for for someone else—and be okay with the prospect.

Calum was a businessman. An entrepreneur. He worked for everything he had, illegal or not, and he was damn proud and protective of it. Always making sure he was on the top, five steps ahead of his competitors on every occasion. It was that same determination that made him one of the most feared gang leaders on the west coast, notorious for his work ethic and getting shit done attitude that put him at the top. He didn't get there by being a pushover and submitting to other people's demands, weak in the knees and doing what he was told. People did what he said.

The fact that he was ready to let go of it if it meant Ruby's safety was completely out of character. But Calum, strangely enough, found himself okay with that. For Ruby, he would do it.