| SINNERS AND SAINTS

chapter twelve: sinners and saints

"sometimes, all you needis a little laughter

is a little laughter."

*   *   *

CAROLINE AND JOSIE SAT BESIDE one another. The play had been going on for a few minutes now and seeing Anne as the starring role gave Caroline a happy heart. On their way inside, they didn't miss the strange glances given in their direction. It was a bit odd, Caroline agreed; a few minutes ago, she wouldn't have been caught dead this close to her. Maybe tomorrow they'll go back to the way they used to be. Though Caroline had to admit, she liked the way things had become.

"Isn't Billy Andrews supposed to be in this?", Josie asked, nodding her head toward the stage with a teasing glint in her eyes. 

With a roll of her own, Caroline sighed, "Yes, he is, but let's hope he doesn't ruin this one as badly as last year."

Josie smiled at the memory of said boy tripping all the way across the stage and hitting his chin on the floor so hard that he couldn't talk for a week. What a good week that had been. Caroline remembered that time very differently. Carrying Billy's books for him and bringing homework to his house due to teacher's instruction, but, she did laugh anytime he mumbled something and grew frustrated when she couldn't hear him.

Two hands plopped themselves on her shoulders, squeezing slightly. She looked back to see James who gave her a small smile before holding out his palm, making a 'gimme' motion with his hand. Caroline reached into her pocket and pulled out the papers she had taken from the Kingsley's home and handed them to James, who gave her a wink before running off down the aisle, followed closely by Oliver. 

Billy Andrews awkwardly stepped past a few of his peers before standing in the middle of the stage. After their last encounter, it almost hurt her to look at him, always remembering the way his voice cracked and his eyes watered. He asked the audience to be quiet, but the laughter wouldn't die down and even after asking for a second time, the giggles remained in the crowd. Billy raised his fingers to his mouth, letting out a loud whistle.

Suddenly, a large lightning bolt prop slipped from its cables, hitting Billy straight on the head, sending him flopping to the floor. A wide smile bloomed on Caroline's face as she beamed, laughing as loudly as her body would let her. Josie was also shaking in laughter, glancing at Caroline, the two grinning, even more, when they made eye contact with one another. When Billy was taken off the stage, Caroline put her hand over her mouth, trying to calm down.

The rest of the play carried on without a hitch, except for a few snags here and there. The shocking ending made Caroline's eyes grow wide and her lips turn up once more when Matthew Cuthbert stepped onto the stage. He was wearing Billy's eagle costume but, unlike the latter, his arms and entire body were shaking as he glanced around the room. It was a poor sight to see. However, when he managed to stutter out the lines, put a smile on his face and raise his arms high, the audience cheered, Caroline, being one of the loudest.