she died.

she died on august twelfth, found at nine a.m. one day before their senior year started. unbeknownst to him, she'd gotten pills to help with sleeping, to help get past those nightmares. only no one listened to her, no one made her smile, no one dreamed about her, and no one kissed her like she kissed.

she died when he was on his way to pick her up for the final brunch before school. they'd had it planned for ages, knowing that they would never get time to hang out like they had once the year had started, especially since this was the year for honor classes and to prove to colleges that they were worthy material.

her memorial was on august thirteenth, the first assembly of the entire school year. the senior class who loved her cried and mourned for her, holding each other as those who didn't know her got to figure it out from the little amounts said of her.

he'd prepared to say something, and when he'd grabbed that microphone to speak, he'd broken down. he had dropped the mic and he had fallen to his knees, notes scattering as his friends rushed from the stands because they were suffering, but they hadn't confided in her, and they hadn't kissed her and they hadn't loved her like he had.

if only he'd loved her sooner, and he'd told her that. maybe she'd touch his cheek, wipe his tears away, smile, and tell him that 

"it would be okay."

her funeral was august fifteenth, the first saturday after the year started. they stood in the graveyard, and while his friends held each other, he stood at the edge of her coffin and he cried for her to hear. he thought that maybe if he showed enough emotion, enough want, she would come back and hold him, tell him that 

"it would be okay."

but she wouldn't, so he laid down his written confession and let it be buried with her. maybe she'd get it wherever she went.

then maybe she'd wait for him.

yet all the times that she listened to him, smiled for him, dreamed about him, and she kissed him, it didn't matter. 

she died on august twelfth, and he found her.