seven

TIMES OF ARGUING WAS SCARCE, and the Kings and Queens of Old, along with the tenth Caspian, were in need of a plan to ensure victory for the freedom of their people. This plan came to Edmund in a flash, through the words of Lucy, and it involved parchment, ink, and underestimation.

A letter from Peter was to challenge Miraz to a duel, all to create a diversion for a bigger plan of action. They had been doubtful of the Telmarine's acceptance, that was until it was decided that Edmund be the one to deliver this message, knowing the cleverness and wit of his tongue would strike a nerve with the older king.

Funny, Edmund thought, how they praised his skill to influence with his speech yet he remained at a loss for words in front of a certain redhead.

He was wearing the armour above his uniform when Susan knocked on the door.

"Come in. What is it?"

.

Edmund walked to the Telmarine camp with a cloud over his head and a painful, resentful feeling in his heart. Normally, sibling fights did not deter as much as when he was much younger, but Susan entered with a genuine, terrifying concern over the stability of Edmund's mind, and the existence of Emma.

She thought he was imagining her. Imagining her!

She thought the stories he told them were merely tales, that the logic didn't add up, that Emma was nonexistent. He denied everything and called her ridiculous as he desperately tried to ignore the gutting truth that underlied in her words.

This did not deter Susan as she pressed the matter, and that was when Edmund yelled. "I'm not imagining her, so stop pushing it, Susan!"

The whole thing was so – ridiculous, to have a fight with his sister before entering enemy lines, to be occupied with a different thought before doing an important task – he didn't wait for Susan to answer, instead leaving immediately to accompany Glenstorm and Wilmbleweather, who wouldn't start preparing until much later, apparently, as he was left outside by the grass on his own.

Realising how early he was – probably due to the fact of wanting to escape the conversation with Susan – he decided to take a walk to calm himself down as if his heart did not feel like falling after each step he took, farther from their base, and further into his thoughts.

Susan, on the other hand, in all her frustration didn't feel angry at Edmund, and instead felt pity. She and Lucy (Peter was too busy) had been going over this ever since he mentioned her, that day after the failed ambush. They went over the problem multiple times in connect with all the additional things Edmund had been supplying them about her. It just didn't make sense. And unless there was a very elaborate form of magic or story that explained herself, it could only mean that either she was not a Daughter of Eve, or she was not real at all.

She decided to pay the old folk a visit, particularly the dwarfs and the fawns for they actually had target practice to attend to.

• • •

Edmund found himself sat by the river where he and Emma had the mermaid talk. He kept himself conscious of the letter and his sword near his self as not to be too distracted with his thoughts.

If she was imaginary, then what would happen? If he accepted it with himself, would that mean she wouldn't appear anymore, or would it mean that she would appear more often?

What would happen now?

So small an effort did he give to picture how he would cope for the next days when two races were at war and several lives at stake when a clear mind is needed to avoid any risks. He didn't know what to do. He didn't even know how to begin and conceive moving on!