03

Jaehyun kept true to his word. Almost every other day, the two of you were together. The dates varied between just a simple movie night in your house when your father was on a business trip, to a picnic in the park, to dinner in the VIP room of an already exclusive restaurant. It felt like a dream, being with Jaehyun.

But were you truly... with him?

As you were nestled into his side one night, watching the stars in a perfect silence, that thought came to you again. You shifted uncomfortably with your uncomfortable thought, disturbing Jaehyun as well.

"Hey, you good?" He asked, letting you readjust until you found a somewhat comfortable position again.

You made a small noise of agreement, earning a peck to the crown of your head and a sigh from him.

"Alright."

He had just resumed looking at the sky again when you finally blurted out, "Jae... what is this?"

"What do you mean?"

"This, what we're doing. What is it?"

"A... relationship?" He said it as if was the most obvious thing in the world, and his confidence in it made your cheeks flush. Embarrassed at how much you seemed to be overthinking this, you buried your face into his side.

But he wasn't going to let you get off that easily, "Why? What do you think it is, little?"

"I didn't know, that's why I was asking you," you mumbled, and you suddenly felt very cold as he rolled onto his side to properly face you, losing all contact between your bodies.

He had a thoughtful frown on his face, "What do you want it to be, Y/N?"

"I want," you took a moment to think about it, think about what you really wanted this to be. "I want this to be a relationship. But..."

"But what?"

"I still don't—" you let out a groan, rolling onto your front and hiding your face in your hands in frustration. "I can't— I don't know how to... say things."

You felt it with every fiber of your being. But putting that feeling into words was impossible, your tongue getting tied as you became even more exasperated and angry with your lack of intelligible speech.

"Then I'll say things," Jaehyun offered, his next words knocking the breath out of you. "I love you."

First, you froze. Next, you snapped your head up so quickly to look at him that you nearly broke your neck. Then, you stared at him in utter disbelief, scrambling to get into a sitting position to properly look him in the eye.

The only hint of him not feeling as calm as he looked was the distinct dust of pink across his cheeks as you kept looking at him with wide eyes.

At your lack of response, he continued on, apparently with no intention of backpedaling, "I love you. And I want to spend my birthday with you. Not all the people that my parents invited to the gala. Only you. I want to go on a trip on my birthday, with you. Because I love you."

And finally, you choked out something that was meant to be humorous, "So we're eloping."

"Yeah. Minus the marriage part," he replied without missing a beat, his dimples returning with his smile. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes."

"This was a good idea," you declared, stretching out in the sunlight much like a cat.

After the initial adrenaline rush of secretly buying plane tickets, packing in the dead of night, and sneaking off to an airport all without any of your parents knowing, you two had ended up in a private beach house on an actual private island that you could rent. This was officially the most "rich kid" thing you'd ever done.

Jaehyun approached where you were laying in the hammock with an affectionate smirk, "The hammock was what finally made you decide this was a good idea?"

"Yep," you smiled back up at him, reaching a hand out towards him. "Happy Birthday, love."

He laced his fingers with yours, gently shaking your linked hands as you kept swaying ever so slightly in the hammock. You thought back to when you were first planning the trip, and you asked him what he wanted for his birthday. He left you on read.

"So... what do you want for your birthday?" You questioned, squinting your eyes against the harsh sun to be able to make out his face properly.

Suddenly, your life flashed before your eyes as Jaehyun attempted to climb into the hammock with you, nearly flipping it all the way over. He managed to keep the both of you in it somehow, readjusting to hold you in his arms, his skin just cool enough as to not overheat you in the already warm air and almost direct sunlight.

He pecked your cheek before dropping his head and mumbling against your shoulder, "I've already got what I want."

Resting your hands atop his and taking one of them to play with his fingers, you couldn't even let his words melt you, sighing, "I feel terrible for not getting you anything, you know?"

"Alright, when we get back, take me to brunch and we'll call it even."

You weren't fully content with this, but you knew he wouldn't budge any further, "You're lucky I love you."

"Mhm," he hummed in agreement, his chest vibrating against your back along with it.

"Hey... what time to you think it is back home?"

"Probably," he took a moment to think about it. "Probably around time for my birthday gala to start."

Turning over to be able to face him, you saw a satisfied grin on his lips as he realized it. You giggled, and poked his cheek, "Dimples."

"You're weird."

"Maybe so," you scooted up barely enough to peck just underneath his mouth. "But you love me, right?"

"I think I hate you right now."

"If this is you hating me," you teased, gently grazing your nails on some of his bare chest. "Then please, despise me."