Chapter Four | It's Better This Way

Diana stayed home from school the following day as well. Anne came to her house once again to check on her best friend and give her some things from school. Diana still didn't greet her.
Mrs. Barry worried for her daughter, wondering what was wrong with her. Diana said that she didn't have a headache, she didn't have a fever or the flu, nor was she vomiting. But even Mrs. Barry noticed that her daughter looked weak - her cheeks had lost their pink shade, and her eyes had lost their warm colour. She wasn't well, that Mrs. Barry was sure of. So she did her motherly routine, and brought Diana tea with lots of honey and made sure that her daughter kept warmth. But neither could mend a broken heart.

After two days of sickness Diana decided it was time to go back to school. She didn't feel any better, but again she didn't feel very sick either. Might as well go to school, she thought. Anne had not received a notice about Diana's return. Diana chose to take another way to school that day in an attempt to avoid her.
Finally reaching the school, Diana felt the worried pain grow in her chest as she got closer to the building. It felt like the world around her was slow, very slow, while Diana's heart and lungs struggled to beat normally as she felt like the surrounding rib cage with its bones only grew smaller. With less space, her heart and lungs started to beat quicker and smaller. Her breaths were quick and rapid but didn't seem to capture any air. She felt dizzy.

In the hall Diana found the other girls happily chattering at Ruby's bench. Ruby spotted her first, and shouted Diana's name as she waved back big at her. Diana managed a smile as the girls walked up to her. As Anne walked up to her.
Diana found a sudden interest in her fingers, studying different moles she'd always had.
"Diana, are you feeling any better?" Glenna asked.
"Why would she be in school if she was still feeling ill?" Josie sneered.
"I'm feeling better Glenna, thanks." Diana lied.
"Oh, I'm glad!" Anne broke into a wide smile. "We have so much to catch up on! I know it's only been two days but you would not believe what..."
"Anne!" Diana raised her voice, interrupting her.
Anne silenced, as Diana's cheeks grew ponk. "Sorry, I, I still have a bit of a headache. Could we do it another time maybe?"
"Oh. Yes, of course." Anne said, clearly discouraged.
Diana felt saddened, although she doubted that the black mole that seemed to have settled down in her heart could bring her any more pain than it already did. I'm protecting Anne, she told herself. She wouldn't want to be with me anyways, if she knew. It's better this way, Diana assured herself, as she went to sit by Ruby. Usually she sat by Anne, but now she simply couldn't.

The days passed by, but Diana barely noticed - every day felt the same, hopeless grey. She went to school, still avoiding Anne. Since it was Diana who had brought Anne into the group, the other girls also started to avoid Anne when they noticed Diana did. Diana didn't like it one bit, but what other option did she have? I'm protecting Anne, she repeated like a mantra, I'm protecting her.
The girls spending less time with Anne had resulted in Anne spending more and more time with Cole, and to everyone's surprise; Gilbert as well. Anne and Gilbert seemed to be closer than ever, or maybe it was just Diana who wouldn't admit her jealousy.

"Diana, could I talk to you!" Ms Stacy shouted after her one day after school, when the flood of students began to leave the building at the sound of the bell.
Diana nodded, and walked up to her teacher as the building grew empty of people.
"I have to say that I've noticed your work is slacking." Ms Stacy sighed. "You seem distracted lately."
Diana didn't know what to answer to that.
"Is it Anne?" Ms Stacy asked, tilting her head.
Diana froze. Her heart skipped a beat.
"W-, What?"
"I've noticed you two girls have grown more distant lately. Normally I wouldn't interfere but I suspect it's affecting your school work. And from my perspective, it seems like neither of you are very happy about it."
Diana looked down at the floor, wondering what her chances were of being able to melt right now and disappear through the cracks in the wooden floor.
"Have you had a fight? If I were you I would talk to her, you wouldn't want to lose a good friend like that."
Don't you think I know that, Diana thought to herself. She didn't want to lose Anne, but she had to, for both's sake.
"OkaythanksI'llthinkaboutit." Diana mumbled quickly under her breath, before walking out of the room with a quick pace. She ignored Ms Stacy shouting after her. Ms Stacy wouldn't want to help if she knew what Diana's situation was. She too would be disgusted, and maybe throw her out of school. It's better this way, Diana thought.